• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just a newbie wanting to say hello. (1 Viewer)

DMKay

United States
Hi Bird Forum peeps!
I joined because I have an upstairs neighbor that has recently started feeding wild birds from his 3rd story balcony. The bird droppings and food remnants fall daily onto my balcony. Now I submitted a maintenance request because I'm disabled and I cannot be expected to clean up this tenant's mess. Instead of talking to this tenant and having him stop this nuisance they informed me that I am responsible for the mess. I couldn't believe this. I live in California and I believe it is illegal to feed these birds and it's considered harassment when you interrupt their natural habitat.
I just need help dealing with management/landlord so as to stop this tenant. Any help is greatly appreciated.
DMKay

Welcome to Birdforum.

It seems it is illegal to feed wild birds in California, so I’ve learned something.

Could you speak directly to your neighbour?
This is the best advice. Let your neighbor know of the hardship he is causing, and be clear that you want the hardship to stop. I would not lead with the law as that is more likely to antagonize more than anything else. Good luck.

By the way, we love birds here.

Welcome to Birdforum.

It seems it is illegal to feed wild birds in California, so I’ve learned something.

Could you speak directly to your neighbour?
Kits: this neighbor has been trying to get me to leave using various tactics for 4 years now. I tried talking to him about 2 months after he moved in due to him allowing his kids ride their bikes in the unit. He has been butt hurt ever since. So as much as I'd like to resolve this one on one, it is probably not going to happen... unfortunately.
Ok, so I have read the same thing about feeding birds in California is illegal. Now I guess I will call animal control tomorrow. Thank you.
DMKay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back