• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

juv Song Thrush or Mistle Thrush | Groningen, aug 2013 (1 Viewer)

HouseCrow

This (unfortunately out of focus) young bird is tucked in my archive as juv Mistle Thrush, also admin confirmed at waarneming.nl*. Inaturalist-users don't buy that and at least the main reviewer of thrushes there says it is Song Thrush... I remember having studied it quite closely (at my pc) and deciding that it could well be Mistle (Song is common, Mistle is less common, not rare).
It looks a bit dumpy (contra Mistle), light edges to secondaries seem ok, longish bill fits Mistle, pale face also seems to favor Mistle...
On the other hand: the fact that it stood there not too far off, not very wary, is almost proof it is Song Thrush...

Hope to hear from you,
cheers,
G

Attachments

• 2013-08-25 11.40.20-Grote Lijster-juveniel-onbevestigd.jpg
    2013-08-25 11.40.20-Grote Lijster-juveniel-onbevestigd.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 2013-08-25 11.40.25.jpg
    2013-08-25 11.40.25.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Thanks Butty and Ratal, I was leaning left and right over time. I will put it to rest now.. Would the shape not be more elongated too (even though the bird might be puffed up a bit)

cheers,
G

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back