• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

juvenile Green-backed Camaroptera QENP Uganda July 22 (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please confirm this to be a juvenile Green-backed Camaroptera? Taken near Simba Safari Camp QENP Uganda July

Attachments

• CAT00934-D.jpg
    CAT00934-D.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 15
  • CAT00940-D.jpg
    CAT00940-D.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 15
Can someone please confirm this to be a juvenile Green-backed Camaroptera? Taken near Simba Safari Camp QENP Uganda July
I was going to ask, 'Why do you think it's Green-backed, not Grey-backed?'

Because: according to 'Birds of East Africa', 'Green-backed birds occur in southeast Kenya, south to eastern and southern Tanzania'; and Green-backed is generally treated as a subspecies of Grey-backed by most books and most of us.

But then I looked it up on Cornell's 'Birds of the World' (online only). To my great surprise, this gives the species as Green-backed Camaroptera, with Grey as a sub-species or alternative name (but a search on Grey-backed Camaroptera produces no results). !!! See attachments.

Maybe this is why Bentley asked the question this way.

Anyway if it is a Camaroptera, it will be in the grey group in that location.

BofW Camaroptera 01.jpgBofW Camaroptera 02.jpg

Because: according to 'Birds of East Africa', 'Green-backed birds occur in southeast Kenya, south to eastern and southern Tanzania'; and Green-backed is generally treated as a subspecies of Grey-backed by most books and most of us.

But then I looked it up on Cornell's 'Birds of the World' (online only). To my great surprise, this gives the species as Green-backed Camaroptera, with Grey as a sub-species or alternative name (but a search on Grey-backed Camaroptera produces no results). !!! See attachments.

View attachment 1534902View attachment 1534903
Yes inconsistent across taxonomies. If they are the same thing then calling them grey-backed makes sense because of the larger range for that form

View attachment 1534902View attachment 1534903
Really, never has been by me and the IOC have had it split for as long as I remember?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back