• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile large gull, West Yorkshire (1 Viewer)

loiner

This bird was seen just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire on 25th July and has divided opinion among the locals. Yellow-legged Gull is the most frequent suggestion but Caspian Gull and Lesser Black-backed have also been mentioned. YLG is still uncommon here and we've not had a juvenile before. The first two photos are overexposed, the later three more representative of what the bird looked like.
The dark mask round the eye is supposed to be a pointer to YLG but head shape and bill size seem 'off' in the first two photos, but better in the others. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3119.JPG
    IMG_3119.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3120.JPG
    IMG_3120.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3122.JPG
    IMG_3122.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3123.JPG
    IMG_3123.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3124.JPG
    IMG_3124.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 51
Based on second pic I am in the Herring gull team. It is quite fresh looking bird (YL gull should already have wear on the body). HEad shape, primary projection tertials etc points to herring in my opinion.
cheers

Based on second pic I am in the Herring gull team. It is quite fresh looking bird (YL gull should already have wear on the body). HEad shape, primary projection tertials etc points to herring in my opinion.
cheers

I agree it's most likely a Herring Gull, based on the features you mentioned, though if foreshortening is affecting the impression of wing length, LBBG might be an option too?
I don't see much of a case here for YLG or Caspian.
Always helps to have open wing and tail shots with gulls of this age.

Last edited:
YLG or LBBG for me. Tertials are off for most HG, primaries look blackish and lack pale tips. But like Steve I'd encourage to try to take flight pics in juvenile gulls to see inner primaries and tail pattern.

YLG or LBBG for me. Tertials are off for most HG, primaries look blackish and lack pale tips. But like Steve I'd encourage to try to take flight pics in juvenile gulls to see inner primaries and tail pattern.

Fair point about the primaries & tertials. On that basis I'd perhaps err towards LBBG (with the obvious caveats)👍

I have now time to double check and after checking all pics, 1-2 is herring gull and the rest (3-5) lbb gull.
There are 2 different birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back