• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Woodpigeon- Neurological Issue? (1 Viewer)

maplekong

Well Known For Being Inexperienced Member
England
Just wanted to share this, we have a woodpigeon nest, and one of the babies hatched- we found a neatly decapitated eggshell under the tree the nest is in. This juvenile is very dumb- nothing else can describe it. I am worried it has neurological issues and am not sure if it will survive- there are cats everywhere on this street. Woodpigeons are rather clumsy, sometimes dim birds, but this one is on a whole new level. It perched on a rubbish bin, and ignored me and my two sisters, who were standing about two metres away and shouting at it (my sisters, not me). Yesterday, I picked up a couple of pieces of tiny gravel, and threw them one by one past the woodpigeon, who was perched above me. I shouted at it, clapped my hands, banged the garden gate, and threw a stick up into the tree, where it hung a few branches away from the woodpigeon. I gradually progressed to larger rocks, one of which fell down and made a loud banging sound on the lid of the bin.

After around 20 more endeavours to see if it was dead and just somehow perched there, I gave up and went home after my mother, who was two floors above me, asked what all the noise was. It did not give a peep. Didn't move, even crane its head to see what was going on, shuffle slightly, or do anything.

Is this normal? I've tried my best to describe how loud I was, and how close the rocks were, but believe me I scared away everything within a ten-mile radius when that large rock dropped onto the bin lid. I was careful not to hit it though, plus my aim is the worst, so the bird was in no danger of being hit.

Edit- it must be more than a week old, I thought it would have some basic instincts by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back