• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Köyceğiz & Mugla area - SW Turkey (1 Viewer)

Had an interesting conversation last night with a friend whose family have long been familiar with the wildlife of the area (without hunting it I should add). He described what sounds very much like Jungle Cat. He said the local name translates roughly as Cane Cat as it’s seen close to the lake and was clear it’s not Lynx, Caracal, Wild Cat or feral cat.

Seen very rarely though he named a place he’s watched it from his boat which is unapproachable from land.

Montagu’s Harrier- Fethiye old road fields, Bee-eaters - several flocks in the area
Bittern - marshy area below the road bridge later watched by a couple of visiting birders flying down the channel into the reedbeds.
Little Bittern- presumed usual breeders
5 Whinchats - dump,
2 White throated kingfishers - dump
Easter Olivaceous , Sedge and Sardinian Warbler - dump reedbeds
Woodchat Shrike

19/04/24
3 Black winged Stilts - channel,
7 Black tailed Godwits - Hamitkoy
4 Wood Sandpipers,
1 Wryneck - River side wood near bee hives
Pallid Swifts nicely on view in the town centre with Common

20/04/24
1 Cuckoo sheltering from storm in an orange tree.

Previous records this spring that I didn’t get round to putting on here - Stone Curlew - 1 on the dump , Garganey flock (30 or so) , Night heron flock of 40 , Glossy Ibis flock roughly 100 over Hamitkoy which seems to have divided around the lake general area as they’re in Eskikoy, Dalyan area, Hamitkoy and Köyceğiz.
Paul I am picking Jeff up at the airport tomorrow Pm Sunday. I may pop over to the beach end for a quick mooch around. Will decide later and confirm.

Paul I am picking Jeff up at the airport tomorrow Pm Sunday. I may pop over to the beach end for a quick mooch around. Will decide later and confirm.
Give me a shout if that’s the case and I’ll meet you. There’s still lots moving through. Savi’s might be possible if in usual spot and small numbers of waders seen daily. There’s another birder here on holiday visiting the tip regularly.

20/04/24

Took a quick trip out between rain squalls and found a crisp male Collared Flycatcher in the mulberry trees and another Great Spotted Cuckoo in the next door grove. Also a surprise Isabelline Wheatear on a small football pitch a few streets away.

Will be in the area Saturday 27th April onwards for a week. This thread has been brilliant in that I can go directly to a few choice spots without wasting time. Not a holiday planned specifically for nature/birding, but as my wife is a late sleeper I'll definitely be out early-doors with the camera and bins most days! As luck would have it, I'm staying about equidistant between Hamitkoy and 'the dump'.

Good to hear. Hopefully be able to catch up with you. I’m curious where you’re staying? There’s not a lot between Hamitkoy and the dump though it’s a plum spot for birding. Had a few birders here recently and I’ve about a week of sightings to catch up on Birdforum.
Currently a minimum of 5 Golden Orioles singing away in our garden plus there’s always plenty around the marshes, lake, fields and woodland.

Good to hear. Hopefully be able to catch up with you. I’m curious where you’re staying? There’s not a lot between Hamitkoy and the dump though it’s a plum spot for birding. Had a few birders here recently and I’ve about a week of sightings to catch up on Birdforum.
Currently a minimum of 5 Golden Orioles singing away in our garden plus there’s always plenty around the marshes, lake, fields and woodland.
Hi Paul - Yalçın Villaları - and yes it would be great if mutually convenient to say hello in person :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back