• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TE 17W 30X eyepiece V baader hyperion mk4 (1 Viewer)

ranger4

Hello
Looking for info with which eyepiece would offer widest field of view at 1000y along with brightest sharpest image quality between a kowa te 17 w 30x wide lens verses a baader hyperion mk4 fitted to a Kowa prominar 823M 80mm spotting scope i also would need an addaptor ring for the kowa 30x wide lens is this correct thanks.

Hi,

for using the small body 30 wide (aka TSE-14WD) in an 823 you would need the TSN-EC1A Adaptor.

As for the widest true field, the Baader zoom at its low end of 19x in the 823 will win with 2.5 deg, albeit with a fairly narrow apparent field of view of 48 deg - not quite like looking through a straw but certainly not wide angle.
The adapted 30 wide will offer 2.2 deg at 32x with a 68 deg afov - that would be my preference...

Joachim

Hi,

for using the small body 30 wide (aka TSE-14WD) in an 823 you would need the TSN-EC1A Adaptor.

As for the widest true field, the Baader zoom at its low end of 19x in the 823 will win with 2.5 deg, albeit with a fairly narrow apparent field of view of 48 deg - not quite like looking through a straw but certainly not wide angle.
The adapted 30 wide will offer 2.2 deg at 32x with a 68 deg afov - that would be my preference...

Joachim
Joachim Thank you for sharing info would the Kowa Tse14wd x30w offer sharper brighter image at longer ranges eg. 1000y verses the baader hyperion mk4 with the 823m spotting scope thanks, paul.

Hi,

for most people 30x at 1000y would be only for scanning, so you probably want to have the zoom for more tricky ids.
Of course the zoom will get darker when zooming in, which might make it less useful on a dark day - and scope quality and seeing might also limit the usefulness of the 50x plus magnification...

Joachim

Hi,

for most people 30x at 1000y would be only for scanning, so you probably want to have the zoom for more tricky ids.
Of course the zoom will get darker when zooming in, which might make it less useful on a dark day - and scope quality and seeing might also limit the usefulness of the 50x plus magnification...

Joachim
Thanks Joachim
Also thinking of adding a TSE-17 HE LER to my eyepiece collection however i notice there is a newer version of this eyepiece but at a lower mag of 25x the TSE-17 HD LER Eyepiece which would also require an addaptor to fit my 823m spotting scope
Would there be a big advantage image wise with the newer HD eyepiece verses the older 27x LER eyepiece with tge 823m Thanks, paul.

Hi,

sorry, I cannot comment on either of the LER EPs - too narrow for my taste - you will get less true field than with the 30 wide.

As far as I know, they are mainly used for a very noisy pasttime not well regarded here...

Joachim

I have both eyepieces on an 823m. The 30x W (32x on the 823) will have a wider FOV at the equivalent zoom on the Baader. I think the view through the 30x W is slightly better, but I do now tend to keep the Baader on all of the time as I find the zoom more useful to have in the field; for me the trade-off is generally worth it. In truth they’re both great eyepieces on an excellent scope.

I have both eyepieces on an 823m. The 30x W (32x on the 823) will have a wider FOV at the equivalent zoom on the Baader. I think the view through the 30x W is slightly better, but I do now tend to keep the Baader on all of the time as I find the zoom more useful to have in the field; for me the trade-off is generally worth it. In truth they’re both great eyepieces on an excellent scope.
Thanks for reply
I agree that the image with the 30x wide kowa lens seems to have a slight edge over the baader with a slightly brighter and sharper image is this also the case with the 17LER HE 27x kowa lens verses the baader.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back