• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lack of hummingbirds in PA this year? (1 Viewer)

Chris B.

For the first time in my many years of watching numerous daily visits of ruby-throated hummingbirds to my yard, 2016 has definitely been different. The quantity of hummingbirds is way down so far this spring, and I don't recall anything like this in the past decade or so... Can anyone explain it?

It's the same at my patch.

I usually have four feeders for the Black-chinned's, today only two; one in the front and one in the back. Haven't seen a hummer in the font for over a week. The back feeder gets maybe four or five visits a day, mixed company. The front feeder was strictly a hummer feeder, today I changed it out with a modified oriole feeder so the House Finches can drink the sugar water before it goes bad.

The front also has blooming salvias and Desert Willows......think I've see hummers on the blooms three times.

I volunteer to take care of feeders at a landscaping/nursery yard. As of last week they had no hummers, I've been changing out old sugar water for weeks. Don't understand it, the nursery is ripe with flowers.

The neighbor's I know who hang feeders took them in weeks ago.

There's a B & B about 40 miles from here, The Hummer House, they have hummingbirds but I don't know their numbers.

We all had hummers at the start of spring but the numbers were low. This year, even the Ruby-throated were few. Usually I get a good wave heading north, a couple days worth. This year I had them one day, no more than 4 or 5. What was odd, at the end of last month I had one Ruby-throated at the back feeder.

We had weird weather this past winter; winter ended in January and went right into spring. We kept waiting for another freeze but it never happen. The fruit trees bloomed early but the crop was small. No fruit on the plum tree, the apricot tree had a little fruit but it came in May, usually fruits out in July. Didn't see any fruit on the peach tree down the street and mulberry tree was drying up last month.

We have a good group of Live Oak, with outlining Pecan trees, all prime real estate for Ruby-throated hummers. In the past, the back trees would have five or six nests.....easy. This year I had one nesting female who stayed through spring.

I don't know what to say....?? Could be a food thing; the early spring threw them off and the Live Oaks/Pecan trees have no aphids...?? I know there's a low count of aphids, haven't seen the Lady Bugs nor the honeydew dripping on the cars.

Interesting to see how the migration north turns out.

Don't know what it could be for the east coast.....guess I'm not much help.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back