• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lagoa dos Salgados to become Nature Reserve! (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

Finally Lagoa dos Salgados is now an official Nature Reserve!

It has been a while since my last visit due to the pandemic, I am hoping to rectify that in the New Year!

Well done all who campaigned for the official recognition of Lagoa dos Salgados as an important Nature Reserve!👏(y)

So what protection is there at Salgados now? I have been going down a few times over the last 2 weeks, mostly taking photos of bee-eaters there. There are/were a lot of them nesting quite close to the entrance off the roundabout. One day I was watching, using the car as a hide, when a woman came up and parked next to me, let 2 dogs loose out of the car and wandered off past the nests with the dogs sniffing aorund behind her. I have seen at least 3 other people walking dogs there with no leads in sight and the dogs runnign all over the place. Today I went down and there were about 12 Indian guys playing cricket on a patch of land about 6 metres from the nests. Now I know cricket is a religion is India and I am sure these guys were very nice chaps. I apporaoched them and asked them, politely to move, and explained they were preventing the bee-eaters getting back to their nests to feed the young. I pointed out that there were at least 6 nests a few yards from where there wicket was. Their attitude was OK, thanks, we will take care. I said that that wasn't really good enough and they needed to move. They said they had nowhere else to play cricket. I suggested they just move maybe 30 yards away. But the ground wasn't bare there and they said it was no good for a wicket! I was there by myself and well outnumbered, so not much else I could do to argue the case. I went off, frustrated, and came back 2 hours later and they were still there. I suspect the nests will have been deserted now? Off to the airport now to fly home today, so I won't be abel to go back and see if the nests survived. But I am very angry that a so called nature reserve should be allowed to be treated in this way without any seeming protection for the wildlife there.

Attachments

• P6094349-Edit-Edit.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 12
As far as I know the Nature Reserve has not been declared so far. There are plans to create one but I don't know when it will happen.

OK thanks. That's not waht it says in the article from 2 years ago though. It is very frustrating that this has been talked about for the nearly 15 years I have been going there and nothing seems to change.

The article is slightly misleading.

The ICNF announced that a Nature Reserve would be created, however the ICNF does not have the power to create it. Only the government can make that happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back