• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lanzarote and Furteventura 30th April to 11th May 2013 (1 Viewer)

rosko1948

I am fortunate that my sister and brother in law reside in Playa Honda. Having returned to birding after a 40 year break it seemed an obvious choice to visit them on my first birding trip abroad.

I read many trip reports and purchased several books and a video to gain the knowledge I required to hopefully make it a successful trip.

I flew from Leeds Bradford airport with Ryanair the flight taking around 4 1/2 hours.On arrival I was met by the representative from Plus Cars to pick up my hire car, costing 133.10 euros for ten days i thought it was very reasonable . The car was a Skoda Fabia which surprised me to how spacious it was inside, I generally choose larger vehicles as I am quite large.
Not having driven abroad before I found it quite daunting at first but as the days went by I quite liked the experience and found it easier in many respects to driving on the left.
As I didn’t arrive until 4.30pm it was a case of unpacking then going out for food , with an early start in the morning.

A walk along the foreshore(with binoculars) at Playa Honda on route to the restaurant produced : -

Lesser-black Backed Gull 2
Spanish Sparrow 5
Collared Dove 4
Sanderling 10
Common Sandpiper 2
Ringed Plover 2
Whimbrel 1

El Jable Plain. 1st May

Several of the trip reports I read suggested the areas to concentrate on on the plain.
I made an early start around 5 am to get to my chosen area between Soo and Calleta de Famara , I chose the second track whist traveling back from Famara to Soo but realized that I was on the wrong track so I parked around 50 yards from the road awaiting daylight around 7 am.
I was rewarded for my mistake with the appearance of four Houbara Bustards walking onto an area of previous cultivation . As I was about to leave a Southern Grey Shrike flew in and perched up quite close to the car, with several Berthelot Pipits showing along the track.

I retraced my route back to Calleta de Famara and taking the LZ402 towards Mozaga took the second track onto the plain , this is a wide track with extensive cultivations , much different to the first track.
On here I had sightings of Southern Grey Shrike 3 , Hoopoe 4 , Cattle Egret 2 and a flock of around twenty Lesser Short-toed Lark .
My final view of the Houbara Bustard occurred when two Ravens harried a male Bustard for around 3/4 hr before they all disappeared from view , with one Raven at the front and one at the rear they pulled at the bird in turn the Bustard unable to escape from the Ravens.
I don’t know what the intention was wether they were trying to kill the Bustard or draw it away from a nest they travelled at least 100 yds during the attack whilst they were in view.
Despite spending around six hours on the plain I was didn’t see any Stone Curlew or Cream Coloured Courser.

Leaving the plain I travelled to the Mirador de Guinate access is gained by driving past the Tropical Bird Gardens on the Mirador del Rio road. The only bird seen here was a Kestrel on the cliff.

To finish of my first day I called at a sea watching site which had been recommended to me by Lanzarote Pelagic Trips.
Jameos del Agua off the LZ1 on the east coast, with an extensive complex of buildings with a museum and a restaurant.
It is possible to walk down the path to the shoreline , it is however as easy to use the scope from the elevated parking area , with toilet facilities close by , I intended to return so it was only a short visit.
There were many Cory’s Shearwater’s, several giving good views closer to the shore, along with Northern Gannets seen diving also at reasonable distances.

At the end of my Second day I was pleased with my 8 lifers .

Salinas De Janubio 2nd May

These salt pans are reputedly the best area in the whole of the Canary Island group for waders. I got there at first light , parking in the car park nearest to the sea.
Looking on the beach I saw the first of the Kentish Plover a flock of 26 birds.
On entering the salt pans the shoreline of the marine lagoon had another 12 Kentish Plover’s and 8 Black-winged Stilt’s.
The lagoon had numerous Atlantic Yellow-legged Gulls and 2 Ruddy Shelduck.
Walking around the pans I saw Whimbrel 1 , Spanish Sparrow 20 +, Rock Dove/Feral Pigeons, Kentish Plover 10 c, Hoopoe 2 ,Berthelots Pipit 4 and Trumpeter Finch 3
As the staff were working in the pans I sought permission to return on the following Sunday when it would be much quieter .
Standing near the pump house where the inlets are where several lizards a small one which I understand is a Haria Lizard and a much larger one the Atlantic Lizard, the population of lizards must be quite high as I saw around 6 in a very small area and others as I walked around the lower pans nearest to the lagoon.

Punta de Papagayo

The site of the lighthouse near Playa Blanca. I had travelled down to the southern end of the island to locate the tracks onto the El Rubicon Plain near to the concrete works for an early morning start.
The only birds seen were 2 Plain Swifts, I didn’t venture to the lighthouse as the car park was full with tourist cars and coaches.

At the end of my third day my life birds had increased to 12 .

Los Cocoteros 3rd May

The salt pans were total devoid of birds the workers having started early, I was there at first light.
Judging by the number of large feral cats , I counted at least 8 patrolling around the pans it would seem that this situation is likely to remain unchanged.
Only birds seen were Atlantic Yellow-legged Gulls.
I parked in a lay-by to look at my map and had views of a Southern Grey Shrike and a Berthelot’s Pipit.

Jameos de Agua

As I was quite close I decided on another visit, this time I walked down to the seashore where there were several places to sit whilst doing a sea watch.
There were many Cory’s Shearwaters on the horizon with around 30 or so venturing closer to the shore . A pair of Hoopoe flew by and perched up quite close. Several Northern Gannet could also be seen but generally out on the horizon.Moving up to the car park produced a Berthelot’s Pipit which happily posed for the camera , a flock of approximately 20 Spanish Sparrows were foraging in the greenery and a lone Swallow was seen overhead.

Tahiche Golf Course.

I called at the golf club to make arrangements for a visit, I wasn’t allowed to enter the course as by this time it was mid afternoon and very busy with golfers. But was told I could visit at 8am or 5-30pm on any day I these were quite periods. The receptionists were very helpful , after a coffee I surveyed the course from the car park seeing a Turtle Dove about twenty feet away amongst the bushes on the ground looking for food. Southern Grey Shrike 3 , Cattle Egret and again a lone Swallow.
On leaving the golf course I turned left out of the gate towards Tahiche and after 300 metres turned left into an area of greenery, it would appear that this is a sewage works but the road is barred although the works are visible here a pair of Pallid Swift were hunting around a small copse of Tamarisk and another Southern Grey Shrike was perched high in one of the bare branches.
I returned back to my sisters as we had made plans for an evening visit to Mirador Del Rio.

Mirador Del Rio

On route to here I went via Haria to try and locate the Mirador de Haria and the parking referred to in the excellent trip report ( a copy of which accompanied me ) by wolfbirder, on finding the place I soon realized that I wouldn’t be able to make it up to the area as I am restricted with several ailments.
The Mirador Del Rio is a truly fabulous place to visit , after a coffee I went outside to the lower viewing platform and from here saw
Barbary Falcon 3 , Kestrel and lots of Atlantic Yellow-legged Gulls .
Unfortunately we had arrived quite late so after around 3/4 hr they were ready for closing.

At the end of my 4th day my life list had increased to 15

More to follow ............

Last edited:
La Isleta 4th May

La Isleta is located near to the sports hotel complex at La Santa. There are two ways onto the island one by driving across the causeway and the second by driving past the main entrance to the hotel. However the best place is to view the rock pools and lagoon is from the causeway. Arriving at dawn it was very quiet , until the runners ( Lots of them ) started jogging around the island and across the causeway. I understand they were training for the annual Iron Man competition.
The rock pool is a designated nature reserve and signs don’t advise walking in the area. It is easier to view from the causeway. Here I saw Spoonbill 1 , Common Sandpiper 3 , Little Egret 2 , Kentish Plover 6 ,Ringed Plover 1 ,Whimbrel 1, Grey Heron 1, Feral Pigeons 20+, Berthelots Pipit , Yellow Legged Gull ( Numerous ) and the highlight being a Black-tailed Godwit on one of the beaches of the lagoon .

El Jable Plain

As I was near to Soo and Calleta de Famara I decided to spend the rest of the day searching the plain for two of my target birds Stone Curlew and Cream Coloured Courser, in this task I failed, however I did see many more of the usual plain species.
Hoopoe 4 , Spanish Sparrow 20 + around habitation. Raven 2, Cattle Egret 5 and numerous Berthelot Pipit and Lesser Short toed Larks. I must admit I do like the plain habitat apart from the dust and heat , it never ceases to amaze me how people grow crops in the area.

Salinas de Janubio

I returned back to the salt workings at first light with many more birds evident .
Ruddy Shelduck 3 pairs, one pair with eight well grown ducklings , and another with four ducklings which looked like day olds,Black-winged Stilts 50+ many birds were flying around calling the alarm calls the whole time I was there even when nowhere near the waters edge, Trumpeter Finch 10 , Spanish Sparrow 20+ near the pumphouse and the derelect buildings,Berthelots Pipits numerous, Kestrel 2 and the final bird a Chiffchaff.

El Rubicon Plain

I should probably gone here earlier but I arrived around 11am. After finding the concrete works previously I was hopeful of finding the Stone Curlew and Cream Coloured Courser.
Despite spending several hours on the plain the only birds seen were a Houbara Bustard and a flock of domestic Turkeys some with large chicks.

Charco San Gines

Charco San Gines is one of the marinas located at Arrecife , I travelled there with my sister and brother-in -law for a pleasant evening stroll and a Sin beer in one of the cafe’s .
Birds seen in the 2 hr visit were Little Egret 1 , Pallid Swift 2 , Common Sandpiper 1 , and lots of Spanish Sparrows and Feral Pigeons , the beer was ice cold and worth the visit.

Tahiche Golf Club

Arriving at 8am for my previously arranged visit I was granted access but asked to leave by 9-30 as players would be starting to arrive.
With this in mind I went to the golf tees with the high numbers assuming that the golfers would take a while getting there.
Unfortunately I was not paying to much attention to the path and more to the trees when I stumbled and fell very hard onto the path which badly grazed my left knee and hurt my shoulder with the fall. I didn’ t want to miss the opportunity so I dabbed up the blood from my leg and carried on , birds seen were Cattle Egret 2 , Southern Grey Shrike 2 , Yellow Legged Gull -numerous and the best bird of the day a resplendent male Golden Oriole in full breeding plumage, magnificent, I watched the bird for around 30 mins before deciding to take my leave and clean my wounds.

On returning to Playa Honda I took the rest of the day off relaxing with my family as I was off to Furteventura in the morning.

Furteventura 7th May

I booked the 7-10 am ferry with Fred Olsen from Playa Blanca to Corralejo.
I had previously booked a guide for my two day stay Derek Bradbury of Birdwatch. Derek has been birding Furteventura for 30 years and is very knowledgable on the island. Arrangements had been made for Derek to pick me up from the ferry terminal.
I can reccomend Derek if you require a guide, his details are as follows , website http://www.fuerteventurabirdwatch.co.uk and his e/mail [email protected]

Tindaya Plain

I discussed with Derek that I had already seen Houbara Bustard but would like to get the other main species on Furteventura.
A short while later Derek heard a Stone Curlew calling and we quickly got a view of it, a little further down the track we flushed to more birds which gave stunning views down to 20 feet.
We stopped at an area of vegetation which we were going to walk around , the first birds we encountered were a flock of approx 10 Linnets , and what appeared to be a Blackcap only a fleeting view and we couldn’t relocate it , with a flock of Lesser short toed Lark, and Berthelots Pipits.
Traveling further along the track it was time for another walk, this time to a water feature which if you didn’t have a guide would be impossible to locate.
Whilst walking to the water we had Black-bellied Sandgrouse in flight and an adult Egyptian Vulture did a fly over .
A further Black-bellied Sandgrouse male dropped in about 30 yards distant and gave stunning views with the scope.
Walking around the man made irrigation pool we encountered Trumpeter Finches, Berthelot Pipit and two Spectacled Warblers and by now the familiar Southern Grey Shrike.
We lingered around the water for a while seeing several Sandgrouse dropping onto the plain close by, and by the end of day probably in excess of 30 birds had been seen.
Continuing our walk I noticed two partridge running for cover , Derek soon picked out a Barbary Partridge showing well on a raised area about 15 yards way before it disappeared from view.
Walking back to the car we saw several Plain Swift and a number of Spanish Sparrows on the buildings around.
On the outward leg of our drive on the plain we came across a party of 4 Cream-coloured Courser also giving stunning views down to 20 feet before moving away albeit slowly.
After leaving the plain we travelled to-

Lajares Montanete de Cho Rivero

This is quite a large Barranco which has water in it most of the year.We parked the car and walked down towards the water it was here we had our first encounter with Canary Island Chat two birds were present although we had doubt to the second bird due to distance and heat haze.Other birds seen here were Ringed Plover 2 , Southern Grey Shrike 2 and a small flock of Trumpeter Finches around 10 birds.

Los Molinos

We travelled to Los Molinos Reservoir in the hope of seeing the chat again but they alluded us, we did see however, Coot (numerous), Ruddy Shelduck(numerous),Black-winged Stilt 4 , Trumpeter Finch 10+ and a Moscovy Duck with a brood of 8 well grown young.

La Oliva

We traveled to the Vulture feeding station where goat carcasses are placed in a fenced compound for the Egyptian Vulture to feed upon.
We saw 2 adult vulture and 2 Juvenile vultures which took to the air on our approach, also present were a party of 4 Hoopoe and 2 Buzzards.
As we left the area we saw a Grey Heron in flight and also a Cattle Egret as we approached Corralejo.
Derek dropped me at my hotel the Bristol Playa arranging to meet at 8am the following morning.

At the end of my 8th Day my life total was 22 birds

Last edited:
Furteventura Day Two 8th May

The Bristol Playa Hotel is quite comfortable and reasonably priced, my sea view double costing 82 euros for the two day stay.
I had arranged for a picnic lunch as I was leaving before breakfast, this was waiting in reception for me.Derek collected me on time and our first call was too -

Las Salinas

This is a working salt museum , on arrival several workers were out on the pans collecting the salt .
We walked along the foreshore scanning the rock pools for waders , we saw Sandwich Terns 8, Spoonbill, Ringed Plover, Gannet ( Juv )
and several Trumpeter Finch and my first views of the Barbary Squirrel ,they appeared everywhere I was informed by Derek that these are now regarded as pests, shame they are very cute.

Barranco de La Torre

This is a very large barranco with lots of Tamarisk stands and Date Palms, I was led to understand that water is present but generally underground, hence the lush vegetation.
Parking and walking in the barranco produced Egyptian Vulture two adult and two juveniles ,Vultures breed in the lower half of the barranco but access is restricted until the 31st July to protect the breeding birds.
As we continued we came to an area of low scrub which was alive with bird song here we saw Spectacled Warbler 2 , Spotted Flycatcher 3 , Turtle Doves 3 and very close views of Canary Island Chat 2 . As we walked by the cliff Derek pointed out the Raven, Buzzard and Kestrel nests all having young the previous week. Whilst there we lots of Common Swift and Swallow we were unable to locate any nests.
Our next location was another Vulture feeding station not to far from the Barranco de La Torre , having been sited to feed the breeding Vultures in the nearby barranco’s
Here we saw several juvenile vultures perched on the fence surrounding the feeding area along with two Buzzards , several Ravens and the usual Berthelot’s Pipit and Trumpeter Finches.
Taking to the sky the juveniles joined the adult vultures making an impressive sight as 14 Egyptian Vultures soared over the general area.

Valley Of the Palms Betancuria
The journey to the next location was over the very impressive mountain pass roads with spectacular views
This barranco is a very lush area with running water and it was here that we hoped to see the North African BlueTit, walking down the barranco Derek explained that they had a flood which removed the top soil and exposed the granite bed rock so care had to be taken to navigate through the area. I had a fleeting view of what I thought were Blue Tits but couldn’t be 100% however we had very good views of Hoopoe 2 , Turtle Dove 5 , Goldfinch 2 , Collared Dove (several) and another of my target birds Sardinian Warbler, the bird was singing from a perch within a Tamarisk giving stunning views from around 10-15 feet, hopping from perch to perch for around 20 minutes before flying to another nearby tamarisk.
Many of the palm trees have had to be cut down due to the beetles which have damaged them, and it was evident that work was ongoing with a ladder being left in place to continue any remedial work .

My time with Derek had come to an end, I had 8 lifer’s and thoroughly enjoyed his company laid back birding which suited me fine ,and should I return to Furteventura I would have no hesitation in rebooking Derek.

Corralejo to Playa Blanca 9th May

I had booked the Fred Olsen ferry to return , the very fast sea cat. This I now consider to be a mistake, for sea watching the Armas ship which takes around 40 minutes would have been much better.
However I had stunning views of Bulwer’s Petrel 2 from the rear viewing area , and whilst passing Islote de Lobos island a nature reserve there were many Cory’s Shearwaters in evidence I counted at least 30 passing close to the ship with many more at greater distances.
It is possible to visit Lobos on many of the day trips to the island , there is now a restaurant but it is advisable to take plenty of water as there are no facilities on the island or transport. Cory’s Shearwater, Bulwer’s Petrel and Barbary Falcon are reported breeding there.

Traveling back to Playa Honda I saw a group of four Cattle Egrets.
After unpacking and eating I decided to go to Tias Golf Course which is very close to Playa Honda for an evening visit to seek permission for access the following morning. A very helpful receptionist granted me permission and suggested that good views could be obtained from the access road looking over the course.
I spent 2 1/2 hrs with my scope looking over the course and saw Southern Grey Shrike 3 , Hoopoe 1, Yellow-legged Gulls (numerous ),
a pair of Ruddy Shelduck with eight well grown ducklings and a further 4 adults , Berthelot’s Pipit 3 and two Great White Egrets which were near to the water feature.

Last edited:
Tias Golf Course. 10th May

This was my last full day for birdwatching so I decided to revisit some of the places I liked.

I arrived at the golf club as dawn was breaking given access by one of the arriving workers , I couldn’t make myself understood but as soon as he saw my binoculars he said it was ok.
I made my way towards the water feature spotting the pair of Ruddy Shelduck and their brood , Southern Grey Shrike were everywhere I counted at least six , Hoopoe 8 , lots of Berthelot’s Pipit , despite searching for several hours I couldn’t locate the Great White Egret’s .
The only other birds in abundance were the Yellow-legged Gulls.As the greens were being automatically watered when it stopped the Hoopoe”s and Southern Grey Shrike descended onto them, as many as 4 Hoopoe and Shrike at anyone time ,feeding and then moving onto the next area being watered.
Tias is a new golf course with extensive planting which as years pass will rival the Tahiche Golf Course, it has already an impressive list of rarities seen.The staff are very obliging and appear to welcome birders to the course during quiet periods , and area not to be missed.

Isle la Isleta

As I intended to spend more time on the plain , I called at the nature reserve however with the different tide state waders were not much in evidence. Whilst there I saw Little Egret 2 , Grey Heron 1, Kentish Plover 5, and lots of the usual joggers in attendance.

El Jable

I entered the second track when traveling from Calleta de Famara by this time it was around midday at temperature was up to 34c.
I saw Hoopoe 2, Southern Grey Shrike 3 , with lots of Common Swift, Swallows and two Pallid Swifts.

Haria to Tabeyesca Road.

As It was not possible to get to the Mirador de Haria a search of my accompanied trip reports had suggested that the Atlantic Canary and North African Blue Tit were in this valley. I decided that this should be my last location to try a view these birds.

The descent down the pass is quite steep with a very deep gully on the driving side , I was thankful that no vehicles were traveling up the hill after a series of hairpin bends there was a pull off on the road where I was able to park. There was lots of vegetation on the hillside and on the roadside. I started to walk down the road and almost immediately saw a male and female Atlantic Canary perched in a roadside bush giving stunning views from around 15 metres. Passing by them there was a number of cultivated terraces with Spanish Sparrow. A Spotted Flycatcher flew down and began to collect dried grass taking it back to its nest site on the walled terraces , I sat quietly for 30 min enjoying the scene before moving further down the valley , picking up the LZ1 back to Playa Honda.

The remaining afternoon was spent packing my cases for the return journey in the morning , my flight leaving at 7-15am to Leeds-Bradford Airport.
The final evening was spent having a very enjoyable burger meal and a cold lager, sat on the sea front watching the local people go about their business, and the kids and adults playing volley ball on the beach. A not a cloud in the sky.

11th May

The trip back to Leeds Bradford was uneventful however the shock to the system of 8c and rain from 34c took some adjusting too, especially in shorts.

I finished with 26 new birds I was very happy with the result only missing the North African Blue Tit , excuse for another visit, with Tenerife also beaconing , sounds good to me .

Full Species list to follow.

Thanks Dave
I really enjoyed my first trip , planning on Donana for next spring with Portugal for the second week early days yet. Cheers.
John

Species List

They are in no particular order, the life birds are highlighted.

26 New Life birds

54 birds seen over the 10 days

Houbara Bustard ( x5 )
Cream-Coloured Courser ( x 4)
Black-Bellied Sandgrouse ( x 30)
Barbary Falcon ( x 3)
Barbary Partridge ( x 2)
Trumpeter Finch ( x 100)
Bertholot's Pipit ( numerous 50 +)
Atlantic Canary ( x 2)
Spectacled Warbler ( x 5)
Sardinian Warbler ( x 1)
Stone Curlew ( x3)
Southern Grey Shrike (Numerous 50+)
Spanish Sparrow (numerous 200 +)
Lesser Short-Toed Lark ( x 20+)
Collared Dove (numerous 50 +)
Turtle Dove ( x 10+)
Spotted Flycatcher ( x 3)
Plain Swift ( x 4 )
Pallid Swift ( x 4)
Common Swift (numerous 100 +)
Swallow ( x 10+)
Linnet ( x 10)
Hoopoe (numerous 30 +)
Cory's Shearwater ( x 200c)
Cattle Egret ( x 10)
Little Egret ( x 4)
Rock Dove/Feral Pigeon ( numerous 200 +)
Egyptian Vulture ( x 20c)
Kestrel ( x 5)
Raven ( x 6)
Black-winged Stilt ( x 50c)
Kentish Plover ( x 40c)
Whimbrel ( x 2)
Lesser Black-backed Gull ( x 2)
Yellow-Legged Gull ( numerous every location)
Canary Island Chat ( x 4 )
Ruddy Shelduck (On both islands more on Furteventura ( x 100 )
Bulwer’s Petrel (x 2 )
Great White Egret ( x 2 )
ChiffChaff ( x 1 )
Blackcap ( possible x 1 )
Coot ( numerous Los Molinos 50+ )
Sanderling ( x 10 )
Goldfinch ( x 2 ) Furteventura
Buzzard ( x 8 )
Spoonbill ( x 2 )
Sandwich Tern ( x 6 )
Grey Heron ( x 3 )
Northern Gannet ( x 10 )
Ringed Plover ( x 3 )
Muscovy Duck ( Los Molinos x 1 with ducklings )
Common Sandpiper ( x 4 )
Golden Oriole ( x 1 )
Black-tailed Godwit ( x 1 )

Very nice report. Really enjoyed the read and pleased you connected with so many targets.

Coto donana and Castro Verde are both brilliant places to visit. Day guides would be extremely beneficial at both.

Hi Nick
Thanks for the info your report was extremly useful wouldn't have made the mirador de haria , dickie ticker and legs but otherwise fab, couldnt connect with Stone Curlew or ccc on either EL Jable or Ribicon despite trying , Furteventura was somewhat easier.
Any suggestion as to guides in Donana , thinking of doing Vale do Guadiana in Portugal for second week as we intend to fly to Faro.
Cheers John

Last edited:
Hi john

Yeah the mirador de Haria is a bit difficult, should have made that a bit clearer.

I used a guide called Jose sanchez who can be contacted via the Spain section of birdforum. In one day he covered the huge area of the Coto and obtained all my targets like Spanish imperial eagle, short toed eagle, black shouldered kite, rufous tailed scrub Robin, terns, gulls, warblers etc.

Simon waites is a great guide in Portugal. See the Portugal section. He will show you both bustards and lots of raptors and other goodies at Castro Verde. If I was going to southern Portugal, that area would top of my list. Certainly worth considering john.

Thanks Nick

I will certainly be making enquiries I have seen Simons name metioned on quite a few trip reports. Many Thanks.
John

I am at Lanzarote right now and altho not a birding holiday, it has proven very hard going.

Rubicon Plain (that I detailed in my report on here in 2010 called "mad Blogs and Englishmen") has really gone down hill I reckon. The right hand turn off-track to a walled area has been blocked off, meaning only the two adjacent barriered tracks lead to it. The main track is still driveable of course but I only saw turkeys on 2 visits, and no CCCs at all. Only once did I find 2 bustards in the mid sections. 1 SG Shrike as well, but nothing else.

I also had no success with Barbary Falcons at Mirador del Rio, though they must be there if you put in the time.

I did have a large falcon by Timanfaya, and nearby by the camel rides, I had a Trumpeter Finch and a few Bertholot Pipits.

I also took the ferry to Fuerteventura but only had Corys. I reckon the Fred Olsen express ferry seems to go nearer to the Los Lobos islands by a few hundred metres than the main ferry I went on.

Best bird was a European Bee-eater over our hotel, quite unusual for Lanzarote maybe? That was at H10 Princess at Playa Blanca.

Kestrels are everywhere!

Just to add, the Armas car ferry cost me 28 euros for a day return as a foot passenger, it was a powerful ferry that took about thirty minutes, but views were a bit high.

As well as the high speed Fred Olsen ferry, there is also a 3rd option a smaller boat called La Graciosa I think, that goes between the two islands a few times daily except Sundays, for 23 euros. This boat is lower to the water and has good viewing decks at the front and back, and it is also a bit slower taking good about 40 minutes. I glimpsed a Bulwers Petrel and was surprised how dark bodied and long tailed it was.

I reckon you have no problem turning up for any of these ferries certainly as a foot passenger. But I have to say I found the birds to be in low number and if I had not seen the Bulwers and several Corys there would have been nothing going else to see.

Last edited:
Rubicon and El Jable

Hi Nick
I had a mare of a time in Lanzarote on the plains I must have spent 12-15 hrs without stone curlew or ccc , much better on Furteventura.
I have been in touch with Simon as suggested and we are just firming up the plans for mid May at Simons suggestion.
Yes I believe the olsen ferry is much closer to Lobos but very fast, just got lucky with the Bulwer's.
If you have contact details for Jose sanchez would you please pm them I'm struggling to find his contact info.
Many Thanks

John

Hi John,

I was surprised to see Jose has not provided his updates since spring last year. So unsure if be is still doing tours. A brilliant guide though, as I say in one half day he got me Spanish Imperial Eagle, Short toed eagle, Black shouldered kite, Griffin and Egyptian Vulture, flamingos and ibises galore, rufous scrub Robin, beeeaters and strikes, golden orioles, whiskered and gull billed terns, slender billed gulls, warblers including eastern olivaceous, melodious, spectacled, savis, short toed treecreeper etc.

Www.discoveringdonana.com is their website John, but there are other good guides if worse comes to worse.

If there are no other birders to share a half day tour with, it can cost 150 euros mate.

Regards lanzarote again, I was really surprised about Rubicon plain. Just shows how things can change in a relatively short time and apart from the bustards, I would concur that the Teguise area is the better option for desert specialities now.

I only stepped onto Fuerteventura briefly before getting back onto the return ferry trip. I was also disappointed not to connect with any plain swifter overall, I had just one possible with very contrasting dark and pale wings that could have been pallid or plain swift.

Last edited:
Thanks Nick for link , ok on cost there are three of us going probably 13th-20th May not to worried about cost I think guide is essential.
Regards John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back