• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Larger pugmark/footprint in the Austrian alps - Beginning of October (1 Viewer)

mTown

Dear Forum Members,

after several months I have an ID request again. While hiking in the Austrian Alps I came across a footprint of which I would like to hear your opinion. I have a suspicion, but do not say this yet. The 2-euro coin has a diameter of 2.5 centimeters. So the pugmark is slightly larger than 5 centimeters/0.98 inches (probably about 5.5 - 6.5 centimeters/2.16 - 2.55 inches).

Here the data to the photo:
  • Recording time: Beginning of October 2022
  • Altitude: about 2,000 meters
  • Landscape: Open landscape with rocks, grasses and a few bushes (see the two pictures in the attachment).

Thank you in andvance!

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 25
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 25
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 25
Cassowary?

Your options are pretty limited, and in that habitat more likely to be Rock Ptarmigan than Capercaillie (or Cassowary)?

Cassowary?

Your options are pretty limited, and in that habitat more likely to be Rock Ptarmigan than Capercaillie (or Cassowary)?
Right. The area fits more to Rock Ptarmigan, but the footprint is in my opinion a bit too big (according to literature about 5 cm) and fits more to a Black grouse (according to literature about 6 cm and 7 cm). 🤷‍♂️

really hard to tell between female Capercaillie and male Black Grouse, both of which have a lenght of apr. 6 cm including hind toe, that's the length I think it would have if seen entirely. You can't exclude Capercaillie from the habitat, there are scattered trees around and sometimes they also feed outside the tree line.

It's much better to give your own guess at the outset - then you get more-useful comments and save everybody time.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back