• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Las Vegas NV localities (2 Viewers)

prattw

Desert Rat
Partially moving this from a thread on the Books forum at Swissboy's suggestion.

Good sites within the Las Vegas urban area:

Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve, on Moser N of Sunset, E of Boulder Highway. Artificial ponds (used to be sewerage settling ponds) with levees planted with native and adapted plants. Good Fall through spring. Desert birds on levees, most of same spp as Wetlands Park.

Clark County Wetlands Park. Off the east end of Tropicana (E of Boulder Hwy) on Wetlands Park Lane. Saltgrass savannah with mesquite and screwbean, and reconstructed/created mesquite/cottonwood/willow riparian woodlands set amid reed grass stands in the entry area (it extends E along Las Vegas Wash for several miles.) I saw 52 species there the other day. Good for desert birds as well as aquatics, expect Crissal Thrasher, Abert's Towhee, Anna's, Costa's and Black-chinned Hummingbirds. Lucy's Warbler along the wash. Black-capped Gnatcatcher and Bushtit in brushy areas. Verdin and Gambels Quail all over. A pair of Cooper's Hawks breeding this year.

The Duck Creek Ponds are another area of the Wetlands Park. Curve south along Broadbent from Tropicana instead of continuing on Wetland Park Ln. Look on the left for the trailhead parking area. Paved trails through Reed Grass and Saltgrass Savannah to a series of large naturalistic constructed ponds. This area was just completed and planted last winter, so will be better in the future, but I've repeatedly broken 50 spp here. Bird east along the wide dirt road (eventually to be a paved trail) to the E side of the ponds, then N along the last pond to Las Vegas Wash.

Sunset Park is a County park in the SE corner of Sunset and Eastern. The SW part of the park has been preserved in a semi-natural state. Bird the mesquite-covered sand hills. Also bird the manicured mesquite bosque around the park dept headquarters. Crissal Thrasher, Abert's Towhee, Lucy's Warbler, and Bullocks and Hooded Oriole are pretty much reliable from now through summer if you're there in the morning. This spot can be reached by city bus without a hike from the nearest stop.

Red Rock National Conservation Area. West of town at the foot of the Spring Range. Blackbrush Desert (some Joshua Trees) and Pinyon-Juniper woodland. Get directions for good birding areas at the visitor center. Many species of Mohave desert and p-j birds.

North along US-95 is Corn Creek on Desert NWR. This is a premier migrant trap if you are going to be here during migration. It's good for desert resident spp year round, with some added summer residents.

If you're interested in montane birds, drive up to the Mt Charleston Natl Recreation Area in the Spring Range. N on US-95 to NV-157 and drive W up Kyle Canyon. Bird the pine-fir forest in Cathedral Rock picnic area and around the Mary Jane Falls trail head, then N on the Deer Cr Rd (NV-158), stopping to bird Deer Cr Picnic Area, and up Lee Canyon to bird the Bristlcone Trail area.

Will

I wiil be in Vegas in early June for 4 days ,followed by 2 nights at south rim of Grand canyon.I can fit in a couple of half days from Vegas and some birding time at the canyon. As i have birded southern Arizona and Texas i would just like to fill a few gaps in the list so would appreciate any information on : Pinyon jay .Sage sparrow ,Black chinned sparrow,Clarks nutcracker ,Grey vireo ,Grey flycatcher,Lewis woodpecker,Williamsons sapsucker ,Green tailed towhee,Sage thrasher ,lecontes thrasher,Mountain bluebird,Chuckar,Grey flycatcher,Ferruginous hawk and mcgillivrays warbler to name a few.
If there is any opportunity for one or two of these species any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
For the areas mentioned:

Pinyon jay - PJ in Red Rock NCA and Mt Charleston NRA and keep your ears open for the flight calls of a flock (you usually hear them first.)
Sage sparrow -sagebrush elevations (roughly = PJ) in Mt Charleston NRA.
Black chinned sparrow - Red Rock
Clarks nutcracker- Kyle and Lee Canyons. Mt Charleston.
Grey vireo - PJ zone, Red Rock, Mt Charleston.
Grey flycatcher - PJ zone, Red Rock, Mt Charleston.
Lewis woodpecker - Unlikely but possible Kyle and Lee Cyns, Mt Charleston
Williamsons sapsucker - Kyle and Lee Cyns, Mt Charleston
Green tailed towhee - PJ zone, Red Rock and Mt Charleston, uncommon
Sage thrasher - migrant, won't be present, look in sagebrush habitats at Grand Canyon
Lecontes thrasher - Corn Creek
Mountain bluebird - Mt Charleston, Red Rock, Corn Creek
Chuckar - Red Rock
Ferruginous hawk - Uncommon winter resident, mostly a bit further north into the Great Basin proper
Mcgillivrays warbler - Migrant, very unlikely summer visitor in Mt Charleston, good odds at Grand Canyon.

Hope this helps,

Will

Will ,
Thanks for the info. I'll be in Vegas in June and again in August , so will look into some of your suggestions.
Neil.

I'll be in Vegas for a week in August next year. It's not a birding trip, but I would really love to see some hummers as I've never seen them before. Any advice on the best spots?

Frank,

Finally spotted this, since you're going to be here in August of this year it looks like I'm still well in time.

The easiest spot for hummers is the feeders around the Henderson Bird Viewing preserve. Three spp are resident in summer: Anna's, Costa's and Black-chinned (ANHU and COHU are permanent residents, BCHU a summer resident.) In August you also have the possibility of Rufous and perhaps othe migrants.

Will

Thanks for the info Will. I'm sure we'll be able to get up early enough at least one day while we're there.

Went to Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve last week. It's open 6:00 to noon, and if you phone ahead the staff will often ride you around in a golfcart. It was hot but very productive. Anna's, Black-chinned and Costa's Hummers were at the visitor center feeders. Best sighting was a male Yellow-headed Blackbird: spectacular bird!

Jeff

I'll second that, it's a fabulous little reserve that is not to be missed! The staff are great and more than happy to give you a tour in their golf cart. Besides the hummers and migrant waterfowl there's some real desert gems like Abert's Towhee and Crissal Thrasher. Try to get there as early as possible, it get unbearably hot after like 10.

N

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back