• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (17 Viewers)

I suspect it's only recently that people make a firm distinction between Mac and Mc. Before people had a need to use their surname regularly it was probably interchangeable. All variants derive from the Gaellic Mac. Directories traditionally put Mc/Mac before Ma in alphabetical listings so the c/ac is effectively treated as a separate letter, which can be written either way.

I learnt that Mac was Scottish and Mc Irish, but this distinction doesn't turn out to be true. Nor does the association of Mc with Catholics. Mc might be more common in Ireland, though, which lends some weak support to McKinlay.
I think it's like with many Arabic names, with non-standardised versions of spelling, don't really care either way, we went through all this with Macgregor/MacGregor's Bowerbird and either seemed fine to me. I don't have a problem with Spot-breasted Cuckoo Dove.

Sorry to derail yet another eponymous name debate, but has anyone else noticed that IOC lists are currently showing only 'Genus' & 'species' instead of the actual, you know - genus & species? o_0

Didn't you simply download another file than the one you are used to ? (E.g., the "Master List" instead of the "Life List" ?)

I didn't download anything; I followed the links from their main page (IOC World Bird List – Version 13.1) > Classification > Family Index > any of the families (e.g. Cisticolidae leads here Grassbirds, Donacobius, tetrakas, cisticolas, allies – IOC World Bird List) There we find no genus or species names at all.

I'm not talking about common names, I'm talking about scientific names.

It's a formatting issue - they're there, you just have to scroll far to the right. Somehow the English name column is far too wide.

We are aware of the monstrously wide English names column on the BOW pages. Not sure how that happened, but we're working on it.
At least on my browser the box showing the species information is quite narrow too, so there is a lot of wasted space at the sides of the screen. If you could make that wider, and the English names column narrower that would be fantastic
Cheers
James

At least on my browser the box showing the species information is quite narrow too, so there is a lot of wasted space at the sides of the screen. If you could make that wider, and the English names column narrower that would be fantastic
Cheers
James

The first few BOW pages, ratites through turacos use the full page width. The pages from pigeon on have the narrow width. This has been the case for several years. You can override this by using Inspect (Q) on your browser. The width is set by .fl-row-fixed-width { max-width: 1100px; } (set in in 3209-layout.css) which can be disabled in the browser.

The wide common names column is new in 14.1. The wide column seems to be set in the Googlesheets spreadsheet: IOC_14.1g.revised.2nd.xlsx

Last edited:
The first few BOW pages, ratites through turacos use the full page width. The pages from pigeon on have the narrow width. This has been the case for several years. You can override this by using Inspect (Q) on your browser. The width is set by .fl-row-fixed-width { max-width: 1100px; } (set in in 3209-layout.css) which can be disabled in the browser.

The wide common names column is new in 14.1. The wide column seems to be set in the Googlesheets spreadsheet: IOC_14.1g.revised.2nd.xlsx
Call me a retard but if this is an excel document, can you not just drag the lines across to the desired width?

Call me a retard but if this is an excel document, can you not just drag the lines across to the desired width?

The page embeds a portion of a Googlesheets spreadsheet using an iframe. You'd have to edit the googlesheets file to narrow the column width (which could be done as you say if you have access).

The page embeds a portion of a Googlesheets spreadsheet using an iframe. You'd have to edit the googlesheets file to narrow the column width (which could be done as you say if you have access).
It's ages since I used one of the spreadsheets but I'm sure I remember an 'enable editing' function across the top of the page upon download?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back