• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

legless, legs or neither (1 Viewer)

I've noticed birders seem to fall into three camps on the subject of scopes and tripods:

1) Carry it with legs fully extended at all times. Problem is it's hard to use your bins and I do see lots of people not actually looking at birds until they put the tripod down. Plus I've come close to having my eye taken out several times on the East Bank and at Twitchwell etc as birders turn around........

2) Carry it with legs retracted. Problem here is when something interesting passes by you need to take it off, undo the legs and set it up, taking ages, and then reverse the process when you've done watching.

3) Use a shoulder pod (my preferred option) or not use one at all for most types of birding. Problem here is......well I don't actually find it a problem. Very light, easy to carry and move with, you can get onto moving birds like lightning with a shoulder pod. But they only work with small and lightweight scopes though. If you're going raptor watching or seawatching then take the big tripod......I may even try without one at all for most birding next year and see how it goes.

How do you folks get on......?

General birding...shoulder pod with Nikon ED II 20x60.

Outdoor Seawatching - as above with the pod screwed onto an old Slik 88 with the centre post turned upside down and the shoulder pod screwed onto the camera attachment thread. The 88 is great for getting its legs well spread and at funny angles so you can get really low down and stable.

At home an old Velbon with a fabulous smooth head and a Leica Apo ...... on a table.

That came out sounding more risque than was intended

I keep my scope (Nikon Fieldscope III 60) on the tripod with legs extended and carry across my shoulder. I don't usually frequent heavily birded areas so don't have much problem with knocking folks over. I'm usually birding with my wife and often with one or two friends also along. Being able to set the scope on a bird and share the views makes it more enjoyable for all.

I do miss some birds cause I have to set down the scope to get my bins up, but I prefer watching them through the scope more than with the bins.

I've never used a shoulder pod but it sounds interesting. I'll try to check one out.

HI David

where in Mexico are you?
we visited there this year and absolutely loved it - mainly Yucutan and down into belize. Toucans, hummers, flamingoes, waders and Yank Warblers- great for us over here. I guess you can easily carry a scope there with such a small amount of people etc!

Have you been to Cozumel? Lots of tourists but a few endems and nice easy birding.....

Tim,

I'm on a small Island in the State of Campeche just at the base of the Yucatan. We've only run into one other group of Birders in the last 5 years and luckily didn't hit them with my tripod legs!

Campeche doesn't hardly show up on anyone's must visit birding sites (Howell doesn't even include it) but really has some fantastic birding.

Haven't made it to Cozumel YET.

I carry mine however it feel most comfortable.

On longer walks I carry it with or without legs extended using a shoulder harness (thanks Digi-birder) attached to the balance point around the column just below the head.

I also still carry it usually with legs extended - ready for use, either with the legs closed slung over my shoulder or legs splayed with the scope vertical propped on my right shoulder which I find is very stable and comfortable comfortable. It sits nicely with my right arm/shoulder in the V between the legs, again ready to use.

I am usually in areas where I am unlikely to trouble anyone else so I carry the scope ready for use. Like Ian I can get it pretty much balanced over my shoulder with the legs open, which makes using bins possible. Plus it is very quick to put down and use.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back