• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leucistic scoter? Rickelsbüller Koog (Germany) (1 Viewer)

yarrellii

Supporter
Where: Rickelsbüller Koog. Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.
When: today, 28.07.2023

Today I saw what appears to be a common scoter (Melanitta nigra) in Rickelsbüller Koog. I'm not very familiar with this species, and there's something that has caught my eye.
The bird seems to have the most notable features of the species:

Pitch black overall plummage.
Yellow upper part of the beak. The beak itself has a peculiar form.
Tail pointing upwards.

However, this scoter has a distinct white patch on the breast, it was visible "live" and can be seen on the images I've recorded. I was using my scope at its maximum power (50x-60x) and my smartphone at 2x, so the bird was quite far away, so excuse the extremely poor quality of the images (these are frames of a video I've shot).

Melanitta_nigra_mancha.jpeg

My question is whether this could be a leucistic bird or the white patch could be due to moulting somehow.

I've seen some pictures of velvet scoters (Melanitta fusca) displaying white marks, but the area around the eyes is usually quite telling (as is the more pronounced beak).
Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
Thanks, Andrew. Very interesting remark. I was 99 % sure about the ID, but it was actually the first time I've seen one on the field. The white patch is most intriguing. Looking through the scope, it appeared as a feature of the plummage, but who knows. Thank you again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back