• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Egret though not with yellow eyes - Seaforth Liverpool UK May 21 (2 Viewers)

Hi all

Just going through some old photos and I came across this Little Egret which did not have yellow eyes.

After a scan through Google (too many results with too many pages not addressing the eye colouring) I came across one web page that suggested it was a sexually immature bird.

Can anyone confirm this please?

thanks guys.

Attachments

• little egret seaforth liverpool May 21 - 002.jpg
    little egret seaforth liverpool May 21 - 002.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 37
  • little egret seaforth liverpool May 21.jpg
    little egret seaforth liverpool May 21.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 37
Hi all

Just going through some old photos and I came across this Little Egret which did not have yellow eyes.

After a scan through Google (too many results with too many pages not addressing the eye colouring) I came across one web page that suggested it was a sexually immature bird.

Can anyone confirm this please?

thanks guys.
Juvenile iris grey-blue, 2nd year spring iris dull yellow, 3rd year spring iris yellow. Taken from: http://blascozumeta.com/specie_files/01190_Egretta_garzetta_E.pdf

The pink loral area is breeding colouration, so it can't be sexually immature. Also, the chest and back of this bird have breeding plumes, and there is also a hint of plumes developing (or having been shed) at the back of the head.

I think the eye is just because of the light - I can't find - on a quick search - a photo that matches completely, but my third photo shows a fairly large black outer ring, then yellow and then the pupil.

Attached - three different birds, all from central Japan (Nara and Osaka) 2010, 2014, 2015.

100411013 Nara Park.JPG140304017 Heijokyo.JPG150709121 Hirakata Yodo.JPG

I think the eye is just because of the light
The view in these photos, all of the same individual bird, is well illuminated by direct sunlight - so the light is good and allows the iris colour to be judged with confidence: it's greenish-black with a narrow pale-yellow inner ring. From the data cited above, this seems consistent (in May) with a 1st-spring/1-year-old bird, and some development of head/neck-plumes seems not-inconsistent with that. Given how rapidly herons' bare-part colours can change in the breeding season, it also would be unsurprising if a 1-year-old developed some such colour at the bill-base.

It's (see OP's photo one) a breeding bird with breeding colour loral area, and breeding plumes on the back and the chest.

The OP asked if it was a 'sexually immature bird. Can you confirm?'

So, yes, we can confirm that it isn't a sexually immature bird.

Thanks for all the feedback guys - everyday is a school day.

Here is a close up - whether that is needed now is another thing after all the informative answers, but just in case the images viewed via a phone may be too small to see the colour difference sufficiently.

Attachments

• little egret eye colur 2.jpg
    little egret eye colur 2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 5
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back