• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little vs Pygmy Cormorant: what is the difference? (1 Viewer)

earlytorise

Possible question, in case one ventures into the range of the other.
I can't find a definitive answer.

Birds of the World has a discussion of this, but heavily qualified with words of non-certainty:

"Recalls other small, long-tailed cormorants, being very like M. pygmaeus in size, structure and plumage, but perhaps slimmer-bodied and slightly larger-headed, pattern on scapulars and wing-coverts usually more noticeable, crest often invisible, lores often paler and horn tip to bill of breeders can also be useful; non-breeding adult often more evenly blackish except throat, juveniles usually dark on abdomen, lacking contrast with upper breast, and white throat usually more sharply demarcated from brown neck; iris and facial skin colours provide useful separation from similar species."

Bookmark added. Are there any more interesting articles of note at OGAclicks (I suppose so but haven't explored it yet)?

EDIT: Plenty, it seems. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Possible question, in case one ventures into the range of the other.
I can't find a definitive answer.

Birds of the World has a discussion of this, but heavily qualified with words of non-certainty:

"Recalls other small, long-tailed cormorants, being very like M. pygmaeus in size, structure and plumage, but perhaps slimmer-bodied and slightly larger-headed, pattern on scapulars and wing-coverts usually more noticeable, crest often invisible, lores often paler and horn tip to bill of breeders can also be useful; non-breeding adult often more evenly blackish except throat, juveniles usually dark on abdomen, lacking contrast with upper breast, and white throat usually more sharply demarcated from brown neck; iris and facial skin colours provide useful separation from similar species."
There's a pretty large distribution gap between the southeasternmost Pygmy Cormorant and the westernmost Little Cormorant (whose distribution seems to be continuously shrinking, northeast Afghanistan versus east of the Indus, Pakistan. As far as I know, there are no modern records of the latter in southern Afghanistan. However, the continuing construction of small dams within that gap, brought about by a response to increasingly fierce droughts between the rainy seasons might be exploited by these species...
MJB
See:
and

Users who are viewing this thread

Back