• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Littoralis rock pipit ? Clevedon UK (1 Viewer)

cafe birder

Supporter
This rock pipit was a lot whiter than I expected. Could it be littoralis ?

It was feeding along rocky edge of river severn, ie rock pipit habitat, seemed to have a territory and never flew far like a water pipit would. Call like standard rock pipit. White outer tail, dark legs.

Poor pics as it would never allow close approach. If proves interesting I will ask someone talented to try for a proper photo

regards Howard

Attachments

• rock pipit seawall jan 17 B resized.JPG
    rock pipit seawall jan 17 B resized.JPG
    607 KB · Views: 128
  • rock pipit seawall jan 17resized.JPG
    rock pipit seawall jan 17resized.JPG
    605.5 KB · Views: 96
Water pipits do occur here some winters but always on the grassy wide "ledges" inside the road and they do seem to follow the rule of flying miles when flushed. I am trying to look ever more closely at pipits as I dont think we have completely nailed the features fully yet.

However I am happy to go with the majority view . The streaking down the side is more rock pipit than meadow though in my view and the wing bars are thinner than I would expect from the literature.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back