• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.
Hello, I would like to try and find a Short-eared Owl in Cuxhaven or actually any location round about an hour or so from either Cuxhaven or Bremen. Apparently Short-eared Owls are nomadic in winter and follow food sources, so I would appreciate advice on how and where to find them seeing as I am not from Germany and don’t know my way around. I am aware that this species is not doing so well in Germany and so I would appreciate advice on responsible viewing of this bird. I would especially appreciate it if some locals could give me advice or would even be prepared to take me along to find this epic owl species!

Hallo, Ich würde gern eine Sumpfohreule in Cuxhaven oder einem Ort circa. eine Stunde von entweder Cuxhaven oder Bremen entfernt beobachten/ zum ersten Mal sehen. Anscheinend sind die Eulen im Winter nomadisch und bewegen sich entsprechend des Beutebestandes. Deswegen würde ich gerne von jemanden Tipps zum wo und wie man diese Eulenart finden kann bekommen. Ich bin nicht aus Deutschland und kenn mich deswegen auch nicht in diesen Gegenden aus. Mir ist bewusst, dass es dem Sumpfohreule bestand in Deutschland nicht so gut geht, deswegen würde ich auch gerne darüber Auskunft bekommen wie man diese Vögel mit minimaler Störung beobachten kann. Ich würde es sehr schätzen, wenn jemand der in dieser Region wohnt, mir Auskunft geben würde oder sogar bereit wäre mit mir zusammen eine Sumpfohreule aufzuspüren.

kind regards
mit freundlichen Grüßen

Josh

Hello, I would like to try and find a Short-eared Owl in Cuxhaven or actually any location round about an hour or so from either Cuxhaven or Bremen.
[...]

kind regards
mit freundlichen Grüßen

Josh
Hi Josh,
For the month of December the German "ornitho.de" website reports 4 sightings of Short-eared Owls (Sumpfohreule) around Cuxhaven (highlighted) and few sightings near my area (around Hamburg) and one in between. Here is a sreenshot:
1703423496312.png
Good luck!
Regards,
Werner

Hi Josh,
For the month of December the German "ornitho.de" website reports 4 sightings of Short-eared Owls (Sumpfohreule) around Cuxhaven (highlighted) and few sightings near my area (around Hamburg) and one in between. Here is a sreenshot:
View attachment 1550340
Good luck!
Regards,
Werner
Thank so much Werner! I had been told about ornitho.de and forgot about it! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

kind regards
Josh :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back