• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TeganElizabeth

Canada
Hello! I am new here and apologize if I am posting in the wrong place.
I am trying to find some information on Mallard ducks and their nesting habits. I live in Ontario, Canada.
I have had the same hen nest in the same spot in my backyard for at least the past 4 to 5 springs. She has always seemed relatively unperturbed by our quiet presence in the yard. Every other year it has been quite clear when the eggs have hatched (outward projecting shell fragments and no bits of dead bird anywhere). This also usually wouldnt happen for another 2 weeks or so until early May.
Unfortunately today I went outside and found a completely empty abandoned nest with no sign of the eggs anywhere. Nest itself was still intact. Cold to the touch as I searched around a bit for hidden eggs. Absolutely no eggs and no shell fragments.
Also no shell fragments strewn about the backyard, which I thought might happen if a predator got at them and ate them nearby.
My yard is locked and private. A human would have to try very hard to get in, in order to steal a bunch of random eggs that no one even knew were there.
I have a very bad feeling that a predator has gotten them. But it seems odd to me that a raccoon etc could steal 10+ sizable eggs with no trace of where they went and no mother duck making a scene or defending her nest.
There are no coyotes or anything larger than a raccoon where I live.
Any chance the hen moved her nest for some reason?
Any insight would be appreciated. I'm very sad about my poor little duckling friends.

I would guess that the nest was probably robbed by a crow or raven. They are early nesters and could be feeding young by now. Eggs are an easy source of protein for their nestlings. A crow or raven could empty a nest in short order and not leave a trace. A duck nest is an easy target as it is left unattended until the female starts to incubate. It is sad, but it is part of nature.

Hi TeganElizabeth and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Yes, I agree with JM. The most likely scenario is another bird taking them to feed their own young. So sad for you but it is what happens I'm afraid.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I would guess that the nest was probably robbed by a crow or raven. They are early nesters and could be feeding young by now. Eggs are an easy source of protein for their nestlings. A crow or raven could empty a nest in short order and not leave a trace. A duck nest is an easy target as it is left unattended until the female starts to incubate. It is sad, but it is part of nature.
Thank you so much for your response!
The hen had already been incubating her eggs for about 2 or 3 weeks now. I have not seen her move from her post but once, and she was back in 5 minutes. This is why I am led to believe only a larger predator could have scared her off long enough to take so many eggs?
Indeed a sad part of nature. I am really hoping she will return to nest there next year!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back