• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manx Shearwaters in Pembrokeshire (1 Viewer)

James Lowther

I am visiting Pembrokeshire at the end of the month, specifically to visit Skomer, and it would seem silly to leave without seeing any manx shearwaters while i'm there (especially as i have only one old record of manxies in the UK - i don't seawatch much!). I know that evening watches at Strumble head should provide views of many birds, but are there any alternative watchpoints closer to Skomer itself (for logistical purposes!). Also, are there any particularly reliable spots for chough in the area?

James

Hello James and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Moderators and Admin. Staff
I can't help you with your query personally (even though I see hundereds of Manxies daily throughout the Summer), but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the information you need.

Hi James,

Welcome to BF. Can't help with the query much other than to say you should see a few Manxies almost anywhere along the Welsh coast. I see you are from Weymouth. Have you tried Portland Bill? There should be some out there most days.

Darrell

Hi Darrell,
yes i have tried the Bill a number of times (not specifically for Manxies) but my seawatches there have generally been spectacularly unsuccessful and (dare i say it on the seawatching forum) really quite boring! ;)
I think it's probably because i don't really have the means to get there at the drop of the hat when conditions are good and find it difficult to haul myself out of bed for a dawn start. As a result my only manxies were a distant group from the Isle of Man ferry when i was but a youth, and i don't tend to trust my ticks from that era. ;)
I thought it would be nice to see them 'in their element' as it were as i believe that the Skomer colony is the world's largest (?)
James

My wife and I took a daytrip on the fast ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare, it wasn't terribly expensive and we had the best views of Manx shearwaters we have ever had,sometimes only a few feet away, as they raced and actually
beat the high speed catamaran. Other pelagics also possible such as petrels.
Definitely worth a trip,even if it's only for the Guinness in Wexford.
Regards Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back