• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Masai Mara ID assistance, please. (1 Viewer)

Pedroinspain

Eastern Masai Mara (Kenya) on 13 November. Small copses in rocky 'kopje' terrain set in a small valley in surrounding savannah. When I first saw the bird I immediately thought - 'buzzard', from the size, robust shape and the 'necklace'. By a fellow-traveller suggested a female Montagu's harrier. Once home I opted for a female Long-legged Buzzard, based on the size, shape, yellow cere and legs, grey face, variable and contrasting throat-breast-belly pattern; scalloped (pale outlined) upper secondaries, dark wing-tips, streaked forehead But a few aspects were not quite right.
1) Where were the long legs? Well, it was early morning and quite cool, so maybe being puffed up would explain the hiding of the limbs. But that might also explain the bulkiness.
2) Of most concern were the dark under-tail coverts with only a very narrow white terminal band. The pictures of the pale (light) morph all show very pale undertail coverts.
3) From Google images, quite such a white belly/vent seems unusual.
4) What perhaps concerned me most was that the Ebird map failed to report any sightings in Masai Mara, and that Avibase lists it as rare/accidental.
Augur buzzard and Grasshopper -nope.
Eurasian buzzard - maybe, but grey weakly streaked 'cheeks'?; dark undertail on a pale morph?; white belly/vent?; two-toned wings with vivid secondary 'scallops'?; chestnut rear eyestripe?
Back to Montagu's harrier. Where is the pale face; the vivid wing pattern, the dark 'ear'?

My head was spinning so I sought advice on birdforum

Attachments

• DSCN9861.JPG
    DSCN9861.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCN9862.JPG
    DSCN9862.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
Well this most certainly isn't a harrier just because of the build. Yes, it's difficult to get the feeling for that, but for raptors I think it's always the first step - this combination of round body, tucked in head, small bill .... it really says "buteo". I don't know from the top of my head which buteo species are actualy viable candidates in Mara.

To Tom And Andy: Good question.
Here's what I gleaned - Eurasian buzzard (Birdlife; Arthurgrosset; Natureweb) = Common buzzard (Avibase; Ebird), which is distinctly uncommon in the Americas and Australia = Steppe Buzzard - which is a migratory subspecies (Buteo buteo vulpinus), pertinent to eastern and southern Africa.

What made me concerned about that ID? - The dark undertail coverts (when I look at Lars Jonsson's paintings, even the dark morphs have light utcs.), especially contrasted against the very white belly/vent/tarsi; the long black tertials (but I now see that B.b. vulpinus can have these).
https://www.dutchbirding.nl/journal...oVaG4IEVLSLYWyKl9AzPpsDjjqDrH0bsiRtlDuVDLnuS4 [page 207]
I have issues with both vulpinus and rufinus.
If someone told me that rufinus and vulpinus hybridised I would stop fretting.
So from expert consensus it seems it is the common (migratory) buzzard - many thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back