• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mastodon Instance for Bird and Nature Lovers (1 Viewer)

After the recent events happening on Twitter I've decided to set-up a Mastodon instance dedicated to Birds, Wildlife and Nature lovers. You can find it here:

Mastodon is a de-centralized micro-blogging Twitter alternative and if you are looking to try it out, you're more than welcome on that server. Please, read the server rules before joining.

The server is and will always be ad-free and free of charge for the users.

You can read more on Mastodon and how it works here.

Thanks, Mike.

Birdon.social is a Mastodon server where you can have your account, if you wish to. As opposed to Twitter - where you only have twitter.com - Mastodon is a network of servers (each with its own rules) that communicate with each other thus providing a de-centralized system. You can follow users from other Mastodon servers no matter where your account is hosted.

The way I sussed out Mastodon was to go to the browser version of mastodon, find Settings, and enable "advanced web interface".
Then you should see columns. (a bit like twitter's tweetdeck)
Your home feed shows content from all your follows, and saved hashtag searches.
The local feed shows everything from people in your server
The Federated feed shows everything, everywhere on Mastodon, posted by Friends of your friends, or something like that.

If you search for a hashtag, e.g. #birds, then save this, you'll get everything with that hashtag in your home feed.

So your choice of Server is important but not essential. A Birder / Nature Server with lots of members would have a thriving local feed. I've found an Ecology Server that has useful stuff being posted in it.

The other useful thing I found was that if you find the three horizontal lines "Getting started" menu option, there is small print at the bottom. Click on "about Server", and look at "Moderated Servers". You'll see a list of other Mastodon Servers that the admin of your home server has banned so you won't see anything from anyone on these servers. The Server I am on seems to be banning any Servers with "Hate Speech", "Inappropriate", "Spam", "Misinformation", "Bots", so the feeds are subsequently very focussed in what I am interested in, and not much else.

The Birdon server above seems to have witheld the moderated server info, so I'd be reluctant to move onto it just yet, but would move on if it proves to be clamping down on conspiracy / hateful content, and starts getting more members.

I looked at both Twitter and Mastodon.. Mastodon is focussed on things I am interested in, very little in there that i'm scrolling past;
Twitter has a lot more stuff I'm not intrested in showing up, but does have more accounts from official bodies and rare bird alerts etc, so has more of everything, good and bad. I don't think you can just move off twitter and onto Mastodon just yet, maybe never(?).

Last edited:
@BethEngland, a very insightful and elaborate post!

Birdon.social was setup just days ago with the only hope it could be useful to the community. There's no commercial benefit from running it, really - only cost - and that is the reason it doesn't make sense to try and promote it more aggressively. Hopefully, more people will organically find it a good place to be. You are absolutely right that it would be great to have more birders and nature lovers in one place as that would make the local timeline much more exciting.

The server complies fully with the Mastodon Server Covenant - however, there are currently no banned servers as no reports of inappropriate content have been received so far. Someone on Birdon.social actually needs to report a specific user / server for the moderators to consider banning these. It does not seem to make a lot of sense to proactively go around banning other instances without justification.

Last edited:
There's nothing to stop individuals blocking users and other servers themselves by the look of it.

Also I'm now noticing a few "BBC" accounts with breaking news feeds, plus the the likes of rspb and wildlife trusts with a presence on the mastodon platform. I can see myself deleting twitter altogether now!.

One good feature on twitter was the "spaces". Does anywhere else have something like that?

The Server I am on seems to be banning any Servers with "Hate Speech", "Inappropriate", "Spam", "Misinformation", "Bots", so the feeds are subsequently very focussed in what I am interested in, and not much else.
I wonder who gets to define those terms/parameters. I do not have any "social media" accounts, but am always interested in this parallel universe.

I wonder who gets to define those terms/parameters. I do not have any "social media" accounts, but am always interested in this parallel universe.
Whoever is operating the web-site is responsible for moderation of the content on that web-site. In the case of twitter.com that is the company Twitter Inc. In the case of the de-centralised Mastodon network, whoever is operating the specific Mastodon server instance is responsible for moderating the content on that instance and also for filtering content coming from other Mastodon instances in the "Fediverse", if necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back