• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mauritania Phylloscopus ID - 30/10 (2 Viewers)

Jonny721

I am currently surveying in the desert in north-west Mauritania, and seeing palearctic migrants in a completely different environment to normal is throwing off my IDs a little! I am thinking that this phyllosc from today is probably Iberian Chiffchaff? I think the third photo is the same bird, though there were a couple of Willow Warblers about. TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_8266.JPG
    IMG_8266.JPG
    467.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8268.JPG
    IMG_8268.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8273.JPG
    IMG_8273.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 50
Hello Jonny,

I wish you all the best for your survey!

Your first bird is an Iberian Chiffchaff or a Chiffchaff for me too. And I hope for other to jump in and comment on this tricky pair. Thanks!

The second bird seems a different individual imo and its a Willow Warbler imo. Please note very long pp and brownish-orange legs and feet.
(Do you have more pictures where head pattern can be seen?)

Also colours seems to differ between these two (?) birds
But yes, pictures can be misleading..,. Oh yes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back