• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's Birding Day or Couple of Hours (1 Viewer)

MikeInPA

Fuck Trump
United States
After my retirement I don't get much time off from my House Elf duties, so apart from the odd day when I get time off for good behavior I only have time for an hour or two if I'm lucky. In reality I'm not much of a birder as such these days anyway, I'm more of a bird photographer. Don't get me wrong, I used to be a fully paid up pager carrying twitcher with a UK list in the mid 400's (lumps and splits not included) before I left 22 years ago. These days I'd rather sit in the comfort of my armchair (after I've shifted the cat) with a cup of English Breakfast and photograph out of my window. I have a variety of perches I rearrange as it suits me and rather than walk around trying to photograph I prefer to bring them to me where I can photograph them in comfort. Here's 3 of the 800+ shots from this morning.

More Pictures Here

Attachments

• Tufted Titmouse 11.jpg
    Tufted Titmouse 11.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Black-capped Chickadee 9.jpg
    Black-capped Chickadee 9.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • White-breasted Nuthatch 13.jpg
    White-breasted Nuthatch 13.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Saturday morning I had to make a batch of Mike's Famous Peanut Butter Suet cake for my birds. I then had to pop over to see a friend about 20 minutes away not thinking for one minute I'd need my big lens. Crap. I needed my big lens. In his yard he has a big old Cedar that was crawling with Cedar Waxwings. Damnit. He also has an old Honeysuckle trip with huge red berries so he's under orders that as soon as they start strip the berries to give me a call and I'll be over in a shot. While I get Cedar Waxwings in the yard I very rarely see them low down so I only have a couple of shots of them and want more. When I got home around midday the light was perfect being bright overcast which is ideal. Here's a couple from today with a load more here.

Carolina Wren 9.jpg

Red-bellied Woodpecker 15.jpg

I do only 1-3 hours each outing nowadays as well. I don’t have the energy for much more than that. I had a nice closeup of a Carolina Chickadee this morning too.
Also, an uncommon Orange-crowned Warbler which was a pleasant surprise.

I do only 1-3 hours each outing nowadays as well. I don’t have the energy for much more than that. I had a nice closeup of a Carolina Chickadee this morning too.
Also, an uncommon Orange-crowned Warbler which was a pleasant surprise.
I've only managed to get a shot of one Orange-crowned myself as they are not at all common in PA. I get a couple of hours photographing in the yard most days and the odd day trip to the coast at various times of the year. It's almost time to pop down over the Mason Dixon Line to Maryland to Conowingo Dam for the Bald Eagles. After that down to Bombay Hook in Delaware for the Ducks and Geese and in the New Year over to Barnegat Lighthouse for the Harlequin and Long-tailed Ducks. In late January early February it's over to Middle Creek for the thousands of Snow Geese.

With the Chickadee's it very difficult as I live in the hybridization zone. Without a DNA test you can never be entirely sure but in the Winter the big Northerly Black-capped start showing up around here. Often it's just Chickadee Sp.

With the Chickadee's it very difficult as I live in the hybridization zone. Without a DNA test you can never be entirely sure but in the Winter the big Northerly Black-capped start showing up around here. Often it's just Chickadee Sp.
Same here in central NJ. I have to list ‘Black-capped/Carolina chickadee’ at certain spots I visit.

Not had much chance the last few days. I've definitely had a better few days. I'm trying to deal with the leaves and hitting one or two snags preventing me doing that.

Fallen Ash  1.jpg

This was awaiting me Saturday morning. Good job breeding season is over, the Flickers will have to make a new hole next Spring.

The last few days. :rolleyes:

Great Pics!
Thanks Paul.

It did turn nasty in the afternoon hail then sleet than heavy wet snow. Around 5pm I was looking at the snow falling in a darkened room and noticed a ‘lump’ at eye level on the trunk of this Cherry tree 8 ft or so from the window. Through bins it was as I thought, an Eastern Screech Owl sheltering from the snow. I have a big flat rock where I spread bird seed and no doubt voles and mice get some. I suspect the owl was looking for supper. 🦉

I managed 1 hour 4 minutes this morning before I considered the light a bit harsh. In that time I shot 930, downloaded 60 and actually processed the 10 you see here.

Tragedy marred this morning photoshoot.

When I started I set the Merlin Sound ID running by the open window. It heard the following:

Starling
Northern Cardinal
House Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Blue Jay
American Robin
Dark-eyed Junco
Great Blue Heron
House Finch
Horned Lark
Red-tailed Hawk
Black-capped Chickadee
Canada Goose
Common Raven

What it didn't pickup was the noisy little Carolina Woodpecker which is strange.

Last edited:
I managed 1 hour 4 minutes this morning before I considered the light a bit harsh. In that time I shot 930, downloaded 60 and actually processed the 10 you see here.

Tragedy marred this morning photoshoot.

When I started I set the Merlin Sound ID running by the open window. It heard the following:

Starling
Northern Cardinal
House Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Blue Jay
American Robin
Dark-eyed Junco
Great Blue Heron
House Finch
Horned Lark
Red-tailed Hawk
Black-capped Chickadee
Canada Goose
Common Raven

What it didn't pickup was the noisy little Carolina Woodpecker which is strange.
Some lovely pics there, Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back