• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minor, minor on Arachnothera eytonii Salvadori, 1874 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Arachnothera eytonii Salvadori, 1874 OD v.5 1874 - Catalogo sistematico degli uccelli di Borneo - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Seems to be a new name for Anthreptes flavigaster Eyton, 1839 pt.4-8 (1836-1840) - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library based on what is unknown to me (as my Italian skills aren't existing)

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Eyton's Whistling Duck Dendrocygna eytoni Eyton, 1838 [Alt. Plumed Whistling Duck]
Eyton's Hill Partridge Arborophila charltonii Eyton, 1845 [Alt. Chestnut-necklaced (Hill) Partridge]
Spectacled Spiderhunter Arachnothera eytoni Salvadori, 1874 NCR [Unnecessary replacement name for Arachnothera flavigaster]
Buff-throated Woodcreeper ssp. Xiphorhynchus guttatus eytoni P. L. Sclater, 1854
Thomas Campbell Eyton (1809–1880) was an English naturalist. He matriculated from St John's College, Cambridge (1828) and corresponded with Agassiz and Darwin (q.v.), although he opposed Darwinism. He wrote History of the Rarer British Birds (1836), A History of the Oyster and the Oyster Fisheries (1858) and Osteologia Avium (1871–1878). Though it may seem that Eyton named the whistling duck after himself, the name coined by Gould. However, it was not 'officially' published until Eyton eytoni Salvadori, 1874 NCR [Unnecessary replacement name for Arachnothera flavigaster] Buff-throated Woodcreeper ssp. produced A Monograph on the Anatidae, or Duck Tribe (1838).

eytoni
Thomas Campbell Eyton (1809-1880) English naturalist, collector (syn. Arachnothera flavigaster, Dendrocygna, syn. Lamprotornis caudatus, syn. Radjah radjah, syn. Trogon collaris, subsp. Xiphorhynchus guttatus).

So it might be worth to add as well eytonii (with double ii) to the key.

More on his life in Thomas Campbell Eyton - Wikipedia or Modern English Biography (volume 1 of 4) A-H

The rest of the eponyms seem to be fine. I have checked them. Feel free to add any information of value about him.

Last edited:
based on what is unknown to me (as my italien skills aren't existing)
"Ho dato a questa specie il nome di A. eytonii per evitare il nome ibrido flavigaster."
= I gave to this species the name of A. eytonii to avoid the hybrid name flavigaster.

Salvadori interpreted 'gaster' as Greek (which it is originally (γαστήρ); the 'real Latin' word for 'belly' is 'venter'; 'gaster' is found in Latin dictionaries, though), and did not like seeing it associated in a single word with the Latin 'flavus' (yellow).

Strange reason for a new name.

The fact that a name was a vox hybrida (half-Latin, half-Greek) has been a very common reason of rejection by purists, mainly in the second half of the 19th C.
Quite often the name was emended to make it all Greek or all Latin -- e.g, purpureocephalus changed into porphyriocephalus, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back