• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minor on Leucocarbo ranfurlyi (Ogilvie-Grant, 1901) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Leucocarbo ranfurlyi (Ogilvie-Grant, 1901)
Lord Ranfurly was ably assisted by Professor Hutton, who accompanied him;

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Bounty Islands Shag Leucocarbo ranfurlyi Ogilvie-Grant, 1901 [Syn. Phalacrocorax ranfurlyi]
Uchter John Mark Knox, 5th Earl of Ranfurly (1865–1933), was Governor of New Zealand (1897–1904). He was requested to obtain bird specimens for the BMNH (1897). Canadian National Railways named a siding and town site 'Ranfurly' in his honour (1905), presumably as he crossed Canada by rail to embark in British Columbia for New Zealand as his lordship appears never to have set foot in Canada again.

Uchter John Mark Knox 5th Earl of Ranfurly (1856-1933) British politician, courtier, Gov. of New Zealand 1897-1904, Director of St John Ambulance Service 1915-1919 (Leucocarbo).

Isn't he Irish e.g. Irish Migrants in New Zealand, 1840-1937 or Audrey Tennyson's Vice-regal Days ? But if I read Sir Uchter John Mark Knox, 5th Earl of Ranfurly GCMG PC (Ire) JP DL he seems indeed British. In New Zealand seems to be a place named after him (or someone else? Ranfurly, New Zealand - Wikipedia )

If I read https://natlib.govt.nz/records/22364058 I somehow doubt the Canadian story. Ok he was The Colonial Office List for ... Baron Ranfurly of Ramphorlie. But does that mean that he ever visited Canada? This title was given to the family in 1826 if Wikipedia is correct Earl of Ranfurly - Wikipedia .

P.S. @Paul. I do not insist on modern nationalities.;) I just want to understand the context why some claim Irish versus British. And note he was Privy Council of Ireland (what ever that mean).

Last edited:
Mr Knox was part of the English-created aristocracy of Ulster which is British (for now). He was British-born and died and of British ancestry. Ranfurly township is named after Mr Knox as is the Ranfurly Shield (NZ greatest rugby prize)....

Last edited:
If I read https://natlib.govt.nz/records/22364058 I somehow doubt the Canadian story.
Did Mr Knox pass through Ranfurly on his way to New Zealand circa 1896?

No. The hamlet of Ranfurly was (and is) on the Canadian National line, which was not a transcontinental line at that point in time and would not become one until about 1905.

So why (or if) CN named an insignificant village (population 71 at the most recent census) after Mr Knox is a mystery -- Wikipedia has nothing to say about that.

Just to clarify the Ranfurly I am talking about is in Central Otago, New Zealand formerly known as Eweburn and is unequivocally named after Knox

Last edited:
OK in this case I see the even the link to Canadian National Railways.
The two railways form a through line from Gaspe , P. Q. , to a connection with the Canadian National (Intercolonial) at Matapedia
So only this claim is at least questionable:
..presumably as he crossed Canada by rail to embark in British Columbia for New Zealand as his lordship appears never to have set foot in Canada again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back