• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MM60 or 77? (2 Viewers)

Reesyd

Wales
Evening all

Think I’ve decided on Opticron for a spotting scope. However after reading review after review and info on here really confused on whether to go for 60 or the 77?
if I’m correct I’ve read that the 60 is compatible with all Opticron eye pieces but not so the 77?

I’m probably going to go for a bundle so your wisdom would be appreciated in which lenses to go for online. Appreciate its best to go to a dealer but living in westest Wales there’s no one near or showing stock.

Thanks in advance.

Both scopes are compatible with the same eyepieces... what fits one, fits the other. You get greater magnification from the same eyepiece on the bigger scope.

I'd buy a used one from a dealer - there's usually one or two knocking about - you might get the balance of the original warranty from Opticron, but you'll certainly get a warranty from the dealer. But you'll know straight away if there is anything wrong with the scope, and it's such a small world, I doubt any of them will send something that isn't right. Try Ace Optics, The Birders Store, Bass and Bligh, WEX, MPB and Ffordes.

As for a bundle, I assume you mean with eyepiece, but if you're also attracted by a fitted case I wouldn't worry too much about it, if it's not part of the deal. They're pretty expensive and used ones come up on eBay and here on the forum.

As for which one. Depends on budget, how much weight you want to carry and how much 'reach' you need from a scope. I'm guessing in West Wales you might be watching a lot of sea birds, in which case you might want the bigger scope for greater magnification... to get you closer, in effect. The bigger scope will allow more light through the front (objective) lens, so it'll be brighter when the light is less than ideal, say at dawn and dusk, but in good light you won't notice any difference.

I've had both scopes. The 60mm does not have a built-in hood, which really annoyed me when looking anywhere near the direction of the sun. You can make your own of course, Blue Peter style. They both have the best value / performance ratio of any scopes on the market in their size. I'd suggest starting with a 60mm, as you're most likely to take it with you, and if it's been bought used you'll lose little, if anything, if you step up to the 77mm.

Then there is angled vs straight. My guess is that 80% of birders go with angled (might be more), but both scopes have a rotating collar, so if you're looking down at sea birds on cliffs, you can twist an angled scope to find a comfortable viewpoint. Angled is easier if you're looking up into trees - means you don't have to set the scope too high on a tripod - giving you a better choice of tripods.

Hope that helps.

Another difference between the two is you get a wider fov with the 60 than the 77 and lower magnification which means greater depth of view. I like that about a smaller scope. Great for watching flocks and having more in the view and more of the view in focus.

The 60 with the smallest fixed mag eyepiece gives 17x with a really wide view (52m from memory). And of course the sdl starts at 15x not 18x so also has a wider fov.

If I were to only own one scope it would be my MM60. Supremely portable, it's a joy to use and I don't feel I miss out by having slightly less mag or light gathering.

Thanks both.

Going to see what comes up in Jan sales and check out second hand options.
It’s going to be a tough decision as we’re only going to Slimbridge & Llanelli WWT and local areas probably upto 400yds.

I'd go with 77mm. With the 60mm I have found in cases that reach was a bit on the short side and even though its FOV is narrower, for a scope I prioritise reach...however, I am a "binocs" person, for a "scope" person it may be different.

77mm is bigger and heavier but when you add in the tripod size and weight, the difference is not as substantial as it is if you just compare the scopes.

Eyepiece...SDLv3. You don't need another one, in my opinion.

Definitely check 2nd hand options. I bought an used HRGAED80 c.5 years ago, which was made c.20 years ago and it does very well. Optic development is so mature that a very good c.20 years old instrument is very good today too, despite the marketing spill and questionable claims that some manufacturers make.

I use a light manfrotto Befree tripod and the 60mm, it’s easy to carry with tripod attached for very rapid deployment (the cable tie trick makes this easy). I sometimes use the 23x wide fixed eyepiece, ended up using that all the time on one trip (binos didn’t get used at all). If you want more reach then the SDL allows you tune the magnification to the lighting conditions, it’s just that at low power the view gets narrow.

If you’re looking for long reach (and not wanting a second scope), then maybe get the 77mm, but you’ll need a heavier tripod, so it’ll be less portable than the 60mm.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back