• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Molt/age references (1 Viewer)

BAL Land

United States
Does anyone know of a good book/resource for helping me to better understand bird’s molt sequences, when they molt, and the different ages/plumages with them(Juv, immature, adult, etc)? I think I may have worded this wrong but you probably know what I mean.

Thanks!!

The best source there is for a field birder:

(This subject is central to bird identification, so I think it would be helpful for you if a mod could move this topic to the Bird Identification Q&A forum, which is a lot more active.)
I don’t care if it’s moved. However, I’m not asking for ID purposes. I just want to be able to better under and molt and be able to age most of the birds I see here in the US.

I just found this book, based on reviews it seems like it’s by far the best book on the subject? My only issue is finding one that’s not $45+, but I may have to bite the Buller and buy it anyway. Has anyone read/have this book? Do you like it??

Peterson Reference Guide To Molt In North American Birds (Peterson Reference Guides) Peterson Reference Guide To Molt In North American Birds (Peterson Reference Guides): Howell, Steve N. G.: 9780547152356: Amazon.com: Books
That is indeed a useful and important reference, but note that Howell has changed his mind and his terminology in some matters since then. I reviewed the book somewhere, but can't quickly find where. The introduction to the new edition of Peter Pyle's ID Guide is probably the most thoughtful thing you can read right now; see also this: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jav.02958. Ted Floyd's Smithsonian guide is unique in (among other things) providing molt strategy summaries for every species it treats. PS: "Molt," not "moltage," is the normal term.

That is indeed a useful and important reference, but note that Howell has changed his mind and his terminology in some matters since then. I reviewed the book somewhere, but can't quickly find where. The introduction to the new edition of Peter Pyle's ID Guide is probably the most thoughtful thing you can read right now; see also this: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jav.02958. Ted Floyd's Smithsonian guide is unique in (among other things) providing molt strategy summaries for every species it treats. PS: "Molt," not "moltage," is the normal term.
thank you!! When you say that Howell has “changed his mind and terminology” since then, do you mean that all of the info in that book is now incorrect, or??

I guess to be clear:

My main interest is for a book that will help me be able to age most of the birds I see, and, secondly, explain the how’s and why’s of molt, and when they occur during the year.

Have you check Jenni and Winkler's books?

the classic one of Moult and ageing of european passerines (Moult and Ageing of European Passerines: Second Edition: Jenni, Lukas, Winkler, Raffael: 9781472941510: Amazon.com: Books) and the more recent The Bioloy of Moult in birds (The Biology of Moult in Birds: Jenni, Lukas, Winkler, Raffael: 9781472977229: Amazon.com: Books)
The links are just an example, you may have them in a closer bookstore, either online or in a brick and mortar one....
Thanks, but I’m in the US. I’m looking for books in the US birds.

secondly, explain the how’s and why’s of molt, and when they occur during the year
This is a general topic, so anything that applies anywhere in the temperate northern hemisphere will apply to you - including the (freely available) excellent overview source I gave you in my first comment. So I don't understand why you are wilfully ignoring - in fact, dismissing - all non-American stuff recommended to you.

This is a general topic, so anything that applies anywhere in the temperate northern hemisphere will apply to you - including the (freely available) excellent overview source I gave you in my first comment. So I don't understand why you are wilfully ignoring - in fact, dismissing - all non-American stuff recommended to you.
Thanks for answering too. When I was quoted I was travelling and I forgot thia thread.
BTW, the second link, the biology of mould in birds is global. From the link, the first paragraph of the description:

The first comprehensive review of all aspects of the biology of moult, drawing information from across the literature and in all birds, from penguins to passerines

cheers

I personally think (and I am not sure whether Butty said so), groups of passerines are likely to be more similar (irrespective of geography) than those are to birds from other groups regarding moult strategy.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back