• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monfrague NP (Extremadura) and around in November...spotting scope or thermal/IR? (1 Viewer)

Gzoladz74

Hi all,

I am preparing a trio to this area for a few days in November, where I am planning to spend c.1 or 2 days in the park, c.1 day in Arrocampo and c.1 day at the plains north of Caceres.

2 questions:

1. Lugagge is a limiting factor and I am debating, if it comes to it, if I should bring a small spotting scope or an infrared scope, which can be useful to detect bustards, stone curley and the like...thoughts?

2. I have quite a lot of research done for my target species, but appreciate any tip for Stone Curlew. The plains north of Caceres seem to be a good spot, but I appreciate anny guidance.

My target species are the usual ones for the area: bustards, larks, cranes, stone curlew, hawfinch, roch thrush, iberian magpie, raptors (soft spot for bw kite), etc...I think I have good plans for them (need a bit of luck, as usual) but as usual appreciate any tip.

Thanks!

Good historical information is your best friend - ebird for instance. Without this information the plains will seem desolate.

The Bustards and Curlews flocking up for winter so historical sites will continue to produce results.

Good historical information is your best friend - ebird for instance. Without this information the plains will seem desolate.

The Bustards and Curlews flocking up for winter so historical sites will continue to produce results.
Thanks! Yes that's what I am primarily basing my research on.

I had to reschedule my trip for February...how much would I me missing out if I don't take the spotting scope (carry on luggage limitations, trying to prioritise)?

The last time I did a trip around Extramadura the guys I traveled with and I invested a second hand copy of the Muddeman book “Birdwatching guide to Extramadura” brilliant directions and descriptions of parking spots, etc.
It then sold well after we returned.
I doubt we would have been as successful without the guide

I can’t imagine seeing Eagle Owl, Spanish Imperial Eagle, various Bustards and a number of other key species without a ‘scope.
These birds were at quite a distance from our observation point.

Bustards are doable without scopes but obviously the views will be miles better with one. I also don’t think you’d really need a thermal to find them. We had them every day just north of Trujillo

Had stone curlew too although they tended to be nocturna/crepuscularl at least in hot weather so thermal might help

Thanks Mike, Owen, Mike, thanks for the links / books recommendations. I actually nearly booked at Martin's place.

https://www.birdinginextremadura.com/ also has a very good free pdf guide.

Agree, I think I need to try to take the scope...I have a 60mm travel scope (and compact tripod) that I may find a way to fit. Else, I'd need to buy a check in bag (what I don't want to do, but if I have to I could take my 80mm + scope). Decisions...

To answer my own question...I ended up taking both the spotting scope and the thermal. The spotting scope was much more useful for steppe's birds.
For raptors, in most cases they can be found just with binocs from the observation points, but to observe them in detail and, sometimes, to help to id them, I needed the scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back