• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod Advice (2 Viewers)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
Hi all,

'Any help appreciated.

I've found a monopod I'd like to buy, but what I can't find online anywhere, no matter how hard I look, is whether or not all monopods are compatible with all cameras.

Can anyone shed a bit of light on this?

Thanks,
Paul

Hi all,

'Any help appreciated.

I've found a monopod I'd like to buy, but what I can't find online anywhere, no matter how hard I look, is whether or not all monopods are compatible with all cameras.

Can anyone shed a bit of light on this?

Thanks,
Paul
Sorry about the slow response, the answer is a bit uncertain.
Most cameras have a screw in socket for a tripod, usually a 1/4" size, although more professional heavy gear has a 3/8" socket.
Monopods usually have a reversible 1/4"/3/8" male screw fitting, often hidden under the handle.
Issue is that most users like to use some quick release fittings, which are usually brand specific. These attach to the monopod fitting and a matching plate is mounted to the camera.
Arca Swiss is the nearest thing to a global standard, but even it is pretty loose, so try before buy.

Sorry about the slow response, the answer is a bit uncertain.
Most cameras have a screw in socket for a tripod, usually a 1/4" size, although more professional heavy gear has a 3/8" socket.
Monopods usually have a reversible 1/4"/3/8" male screw fitting, often hidden under the handle.
Issue is that most users like to use some quick release fittings, which are usually brand specific. These attach to the monopod fitting and a matching plate is mounted to the camera.
Arca Swiss is the nearest thing to a global standard, but even it is pretty loose, so try before buy.

Cheers for the reply.

I bought a monopod last week, the 'three legged thing' with the feet at the base. I've been pleasantly surprised at just how steady it holds the camera, 'pretty much no movement whatsoever, and it definitely helps produce a more detailed image (when compared with handheld).

On the other hand that flexibility of movement is lost and when I look back at all of the pictures I've taken, there are less than a handful of times when the monopod would have come in useful, e.g. a perched owl and kestrel.

I'm seriously considering buying a portable bird hide, 'looking at options at the moment, I think that is where the monopod will be really beneficial. I know places where birds such as buzzards, owls, kingfishers and the like are pretty regular and I wouldn't be encroaching on private land, and I really want to try and get used to video on the camera. What I'm aiming for is using my current camera to get an all round knowledge of photography and video, and I think the monopod will turn out useful in achieving that providing I have a portable bird hide which allows me to get close and set up my monopod in advance without the bird knowing I'm there- that's the thinking anyway!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back