• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My backyard list - Tucson AZ (1 Viewer)

PumaMan

United States
I am not a birder. I wish I was. Here are the birds I've seen on my 1.5 acre lot. I live out away from Tucson and my lot is 80% natural desert flora -- only the area right around my house is cleared and cultivated. I think my favorite bird is the Cactus Wren. A curious and inquisitive bird, always coming in to my garage looking for bugs and will even go inside my truck if I leave the windows open. I've been feeding the birds for 25 years now -- one of my favorite pastimes. I also have a 24 hr water source -- a godsend for birds and other critters here in the Sonoran Desert.

Black-headed Grosbeak (Spring - May)
Black Phoebe (Winter) ????
Blue Grosbeak (Summer)
Bronzed Cowbird (Spring - Apr)
Brown-headed Cowbird (Summer)
Cactus Wren
Canyon Towhee
Cooper's Hawk
Crow/Raven
Curve-billed Thrasher
Desert Cardinal (Pyrrhuloxia)
Desert (Black-throated) Sparrow
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Gambel's Quail
Gila Woodpecker
Greater Roadrunner
Great Horned Owl
Great-tailed Grackle (Summer)
Harris's Hawk
Hooded Oriole
House Finch
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Lesser Goldfinch
Lesser Nighthawk (Summer)
Mourning Dove
Northern Cardinal
Phainopepla
Red-winged Blackbird (Summer)
Rock Pigeon (Rock Dove)
Starling
Turkey Vulture
Verdin
Western Screech-Owl (heard just after dark)
White-throated Sparrow (Winter)
White-winged Dove (Spring - Apr)

Hummingbirds:

Costa's
Anna's
Rufous (one time during spring or fall migration)

Last edited:
I am SE of Tucson and appreciate your list. I am trying to ID the birds that come into my yard, so I will use your list as a starting point.

I’ve got news for you. If it talks, walks, and looks like a duck, then it is a duck. My point being, you are a birder, and the very best kind. Your friend from Buckeye, AZ.
PS - Not sure if I have a favorite bird, but if I did, it might be the Cactus Wren - never shy, always snoopy!

I’ve got news for you. If it talks, walks, and looks like a duck, then it is a duck. My point being, you are a birder, and the very best kind. Your friend from Buckeye, AZ.
PS - Not sure if I have a favorite bird, but if I did, it might be the Cactus Wren - never shy, always snoopy!
Thanks. I keep a backyard list but that's it.

Basically I love all the birds, really.

Your "crow/raven" will be a raven since there are no crows in the Sonoran Desert. Probably a Common Raven but Chihuahuan Ravens are also found in the area.

As for becoming a birder, I think you already are. The next step is just to grab your binoculars and head out and see what you can see! Southeast Arizona is well-known as one of the best parts of the country for birding, adding to your life list shouldn't be too difficult.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back