• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery bird in my garden Nth London (1 Viewer)

Paulinwillesden

United Kingdom
This morning I heard a new bird, a piping motif, clear and loud like a song thrush but repeated unchanging, starting higher and descending. Outside I found it above me on a TV arial so forgive the limited detail on colour as it was silhouetted and viewed from below. I saw:

blackbird size bird, there was a great tit next to it so fairly accurate
black head with a small crest
straight thin pointy beak
tail shape like a magpie rather than a blackbird
overall dark brown grey
base of abdomen at the tail a thick band of orange/pink

It hopped about the aerial, then chimney pots and off. Couldn't see flight pattern

This is my first post, please help!

Hi Paul and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Sorry, I can't help with this; just can't think of any European birds that match that. Though I've no doubt there'll be a few members along soon with some ideas for you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

This morning I heard a new bird, a piping motif, clear and loud like a song thrush but repeated unchanging, starting higher and descending. Outside I found it above me on a TV arial so forgive the limited detail on colour as it was silhouetted and viewed from below. I saw:

blackbird size bird, there was a great tit next to it so fairly accurate
tail shape like a magpie rather than a blackbird
overall dark brown grey
base of abdomen at the tail a thick band of orange/pink

It hopped about the aerial, then chimney pots and off. Couldn't see flight pattern

This is my first post, please help!
I’m guessing an Asian, possibly African, escaped cage bird. This description fits nothing European.

I’m guessing an Asian, possibly African, escaped cage bird. This description fits nothing European.
I can't think of anything from those continents that;s a good fit.

Was thinking:

"blackbird size bird, there was a great tit next to it so fairly accurate
overall dark brown grey"

Isn't a bad fit for a juvenile starling, and they can show orangeish plumage patches. Chimney location is also good :)

Tail is an issue I agree...

I can't think of any more likely candidates, but an escapee I'm not familiar with is a distinct possibility...

Not all details fit (would it be supposed to sing at this time of the year, for instance, and what about the hopping?), but maybe an adult male red-backed shrike???

EDIT: Just in case, the way I read the OP's description:
overall dark brown,
grey base of abdomen,
at the tail a thick band of orange/pink.
(In a red-backed shrike the lower belly area would be 'orange/pink' and the tail band would be grey, so it would've had to be the other way round.)

Last edited:
Not all details fit (would it be supposed to sing at this time of the year, for instance, and what about the hopping?), but maybe an adult male red-backed shrike???

EDIT: Just in case, the way I read the OP's description:
overall dark brown,
grey base of abdomen,
at the tail a thick band of orange/pink.
(In a red-backed shrike the lower belly area would be 'orange/pink' and the tail band would be grey, so it would've had to be the other way round.)
Wouldn't be singing now, song description also not correct. But I'd say the biggest no is the habitat and behaviour - hopping about on the aerial and chimney pots. Though of course not impossible for a Red-backed Shrike, I have never seen one do even vaguley this, and they are a very common brd here.

Starling sort of fits most of your description - apart from the last bit!

Welcome and I hope some one else comes up with a better idea.
Yes apart from the song which had the piping clarity of a blackbird or song thrush and repeated the same descending motif 6 or 7 times before it flew. Also the beak was perpendicular to it's spine like a tit/jay rather than a starling whch is a bit more streamlined. If it wasn't for the song and the black head I would have gone with a young jay, very mysterious.
Escaped Bulbul sp sounds like a possibility, but I wonder if it could also just be a weird moulting Blackbird...
That's it!!
Song and appearance fit, this forum is amazing, thanks Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back