• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery call in Forest of Dean (1 Viewer)

Hi, this is a general appeal for help with identifying a (bird?) call, recorded by my colleague in the Forest of Dean, at 15:14pm, 29th August.

I'm not technically competent so I can only get this recording onto an M4A file which is inside the attached zipped folder - it won't upload the file direct.

There was no sign of the bird but the disyllabic call was coming from the trees. Sounds like some kind of owl?

Many thanks in advance,

Phil Callagher, Scarborough

Attachments

• Forest of Dean, 29th Aug 2023.zip
    339.8 KB · Views: 29
Sorry I can't put my finger on it Phil, but I've converted your file to an easy listenable mp3 - hope that's okay.

The call/s is made at the start of the audio and near the end when you can hear someone splashing through a puddle.

Attachments

• forest of dean bird call.mp3
    341.6 KB
First: thanks Richie for converting the file!

Hello Phil,

when I write your recording seems somewhat harsh to me, then you know this isnt meant as an offense. I regular have difficulties to match recordings here and elsewhere to birdsounds I regular hear in the field. And I still struggle to give reasons (some kind of excuse? I dont hope so)

When taking this point into account, your bird might well be a Ronin.

edit: no, I dont want to describe a species new to science: I wanted to write Robin

Last edited:
Hello again,

I can't exclude a Scops Owl, but it sounds like some kind of Amphibian to me. With Common Midwife Toad the usual suspect (introduced/escaped in Britain), but the two note call seems unusual to me. A quick google search seems to support this, but I am far from an expert in amphibian calls.

But like always I hope the crowd intelligence of the members here might well result in a confident ID. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back