• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Duck in MA, USA (1 Viewer)

hannibalscannibal

United States
hello all! i'm new to this site so please stick with me here

this duck was sighted in Plymouth Harbor, Massachusetts around 5:30 PM on May 6th.

it had the distinct sloping head of a Scoter or Eider and was diving frequently very close to shore, but doesn't match the profile for any local species i'm familiar with
my first thought was Spectacled Eider due to the bold white circles around the eyes, but they don't live anywhere near Massachusetts! colors were very bold and defined so likely not a juvenile of any species

any insight is appreciated, image attached below is the best i got (taken through the lens of my binoculars to avoid disturbing the bird)

Attachments

• 304EF619-949B-4F51-B13B-163D92C4E2E2.jpeg
    304EF619-949B-4F51-B13B-163D92C4E2E2.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 57

Users who are viewing this thread

Back