• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NE Scotland Ivy dwelling birds (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
we have a mature ivy that covers our gable end wall. All year round there are small birds in there. They move extremely fast so I have never actually been able to see one and cannot spot any obvious nests either. However if I do anything such as trimming the ivy or wash the windows and get close to the growth, invariably a bird will shoot out and scare the pants off me. They seem to be very good at secreting themselves in there even when there is less foliage in the winter. I know this isn't a lot of information to go by but can anyone suggest what these little residents might be?

There could be a few things in the breeding season, but if they're there all the year, I'm wondering about House Sparrows? Are you getting any idea of colour?

Welcome to Birdforum Julieann, you say small birds, if they’re really small I’d suspect Wren, if they’re finch size I’d be thinking House Sparrow. The sparrows are usually in groups when roosting in cove4 such as ivy, and they’re usually pretty noisy chirping away and squabbling. Wren are more discreet but you should hear their ticking/rattling call at times.

They are quite noisy when there are several of them and the noise could be described as squabbling. It sounds as if they might be sparrows from what you both say. I think they are just living in there for shelter rather than making nests at this time of year? I might get a better look at them if I sit quietly and watch, normally I only give them any thought when they startle me. Even I can recognise a sparrow if it stays still for a moment, they must be the most common of our native birds.

We planted the ivy as winter bee fodder but I did since learn how calorific the berries are and what good food for small birds in winter. I can see me paying a bit more attention to it from now on. I'm keen to learn more about our small flying residents now.

Eurasian Wren came to mind upon reading this post. However one would not, I imagine, expect a small flock of wrens. Rather perhaps a regular individual or two. If there are several regularly, I would have thought some other species to be more likely.
The incessant chattering referred to may well suggest a possible House Sparrow community.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back