• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Neusiedler See at June 2016 - Bustards & accommodation etc. (1 Viewer)

Arrived early in the morning before light to get great views on the road down from Andau to the footbridge over the border. The first tower on the right was best. Have visited three times and this area has always produced, the most seen from there was nine birds, 4 males and five females. We arrived very early in our small motorhome, snatched a couple of hours sleep and waited up the tower for the sun to rise, just after two birds flew over the tower from the right, light behind illuminated them perfectly, awesome birds in an area of fantastic birding. Images 269-274 in the link.
Good luck have a great time, Oh watch for Aquila heliaca overhead too !

ColD

http://www.crete-birding.co.uk/apps/photos/photo?photoid=194844133

Thank you Roman, Ianreid, ColD and all others too. With your instructions it is my own fault if I miss Great Bustards.
ColD, I send you a PM. I looked at your pictures and made some questions about them. Great shots those of flying GB's. :t:
Is the Eastern Imperial Eagle common there?

Neusiedler See at July

Hello everybody.

Last week of July, three friends and me we are going to Slovakia. Before to go to Tatra Mountains, we want to visit Neusiedler for to see Black and Syrian Woodpecker, Saker Falcon and other typical species of Central Europe. Do you suggest to realise the visit in this age?

In adition, I´ve read about Great Bustard in Hansag. Is it easy for to see them?

Regards

Rafa

I saw several bustards along the Fluchtstrasse between Andau and the Hungarian border at the end of April. They were actually fairly easy to find in the right habitat. Unfortunately, I have no idea of the likelihood of finding them in July though.

In summer and spring it will be much more difficult.

Check ornitho.at
choose left
"letzte 15 Tage" means last 15 days

choose "Burgenland" and one line down "ND"

Look for "Grosstrappe" means Great Bustard

For Saker maybe check in nearby in Hungary "Ferto Hansag Nemzeti Park".

North east of lake Neusiedler See is also chance for Eastern Imperial Eagle ( in German language Kaiseradler ).

Thank you so much.

Last week, I bought "Finding birds in Eastern Austria" by Dave Gosney, with locations in Illmitz, Jois and Apetlon for to watch Collared Flycatcher, Syrian Woodpecker, Lesser Shrike or Saker Falcon. Are really? Date book is 1994!

Other question. Is recommendable to visit Marchegg?

Thanks

Rafa

In summer and spring it will be much more difficult.

Check ornitho.at
choose left
"letzte 15 Tage" means last 15 days

choose "Burgenland" and one line down "ND"

Look for "Grosstrappe" means Great Bustard

For Saker maybe check in nearby in Hungary "Ferto Hansag Nemzeti Park".

North east of lake Neusiedler See is also chance for Eastern Imperial Eagle ( in German language Kaiseradler ).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back