• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Bio on Bird Conservationist/MBTA Sponsor (1 Viewer)

willgbirds

United States
This is Will McLean Greeley, author of A Connecticut Yankee Goes to Washington, George P. McLean, Birdman of the Senate, a new biography of Connecticut Governor and Senator George P. McLean, sponsor of the 1918 Migratory Bird Treaty Act, published by the Rochester Institute of Technology Press. This legislation, still in effect today, has saved millions if not billions of birds, and likely prevented extinctions. The book traces McLean’s rise from obscurity as a Connecticut farm boy to national prominence when he advised five US presidents and helped lead change and shape events as a US senator from 1911 to 1929.

Senator McLean is an overlooked figure in the conservation of birds, and played an important role in the expansion of federal oversight of the environment.

Reviews:
“On one level this is a fascinating, and thoroughly researched, glimpse into the workings of US politics in the early twentieth century. On another level it’s an inspiring story of one man’s determination and steadfast commitment to securing legal protections for birds. I am glad to know more about George McLean.”
—David Allen Sibley, author and illustrator of The Sibley Guide to Birds

“This engaging biography reconstructs the career of Senator George P. McLean, highlighting his spirited campaign to protect migratory birds from excessive game-hunting. McLean skillfully shepherded his bill through both Republican and Democratic administrations, overcame strident opposition in Congress, and established an enduring environmental policy.”
—Donald A. Ritchie, US Senate Historian Emeritus

A highlight of my book promotion events this summer was a talk with the Connecticut Audubon Society, where I was introduced by US Senator Richard Blumenthal.

Thank you for your assistance.

Yours,

Will McLean Greeley

My website:
Senator George P. McLean

Watch my seven minute interview:

CT '23 SUNDAY SPOTLIGHT: How a former Connecticut senator became an advocate for the environment

Attachments

• cover-photo_high res.jpg
    cover-photo_high res.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 2
Hi Will and a warm welcome to you from those of us on BirdForum. It's good to have you here with us and you might try to talk Mr. George P. McLean to join in as well ;) I'm sure the both of you would be assets to our Forum ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back