• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New edition of Birds of Korea field guide (1 Viewer)

jimthom

I found out totally by accident that there's a new (2nd) edition (September 9, 2015) out of "A Field Guide to the Birds of Korea." I saw a couple guys taking pictures on the Jungnang Stream in Seoul and approached them asking if there was something special. They pointed to a large group of ducks and said there was a Ferruginous amongst them. To show me what they were talking about, they then pulled out (the Korean language version of) a book that I was surprised to find out was a new edition of the Birds of Korea field guide. A bit of digging later turned up the English edition.

The guys told me that it had “more than 50” species not included in the old 2000/2005 edition. I haven’t done a detailed comparison with the old edition, but the new one does have a lot of new species in it (e.g. Yellow-bellied Tit, Pardaliparus venustulus) and it includes the (interesting to me) information on when the bird was first recorded on the peninsula (for the Yellow-bellied Tit, “first recorded in October 2005 on Socheongdo island, Incheon, but numbers of birds increasing rapidly, distribution spreading and some have even been reported breeding.”). It has some new subspecies like the p. kapustini subspecies of the Great Tit, Parus major. It is also updated for splits (e.g. the new edition lists Northern Boobook, Ninox japonica, instead of Brown Hawk Owl, Ninox scutulata). And it also has updated common names (e.g. Eurasian Jay rather than just Jay, Common Pochard rather than Pochard, and, much to my dismay, adopted Yellow-rumped Flycatcher instead of the former (and superior) nomenclature, Tri-color Flycatcher…). It’s in exactly the same format as the old edition.

It seems that the authors couldn't (didn't try to?) get a major publisher to pick the book up. It's (I think) a print-on-demand book that I could only find available on a Korean (and Korean language only) shopping website. So, needless to say, it won't be easy to get outside of Korea. Nonetheless, I'll post the specs on the books here and let anyone out there who's interested see what they can do. Hope it helps. Interestingly, the back page of the English version says it was proofread by Mark Brazil. So if anyone knows how to contact him, he might know more...

--"A field guide to the birds of Korea" ISBN 9788995141564
website I found it on http://www.aladin.co.kr/shop/wproduct.aspx?ItemId=67151886

--Korean language version ISBN 9788995141557
website I found it on http://www.aladin.co.kr/shop/wproduct.aspx?ItemId=43846168

Attachments

• IMG_9273 (1280x942).jpg
    IMG_9273 (1280x942).jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_9274 (1280x960).jpg
    IMG_9274 (1280x960).jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_9275 (1280x1196).jpg
    IMG_9275 (1280x1196).jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_9278 (1280x946).jpg
    IMG_9278 (1280x946).jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_9276 (1280x957).jpg
    IMG_9276 (1280x957).jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 87
Thanks for reporting, Jim.

According to the aladin website, the English version has the same number of pages (328) as the first edition, so I'm curious about how more than 50 new species have been squeezed in.

Doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet – eg, nhbs and Subbuteo are still selling the 2005 printing.

“According to the aladin website, the English version has the same number of pages (328) as the first edition, so I'm curious about how more than 50 new species have been squeezed in.”

Wow, I didn’t notice that on the website. I just checked, though, and the website is mistaken. The new 2nd edition that I have has 395 pages. Maybe the website just copied/pasted the page number info from the old edition. I’m guessing that’s what happened because the website also says that the new 2nd edition Korean language version has 320 pages (the exact number of the first edition). But it actually has 383 pages.

“Doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet – eg, nhbs and Subbuteo are still selling the 2005 printing.”

I know. I couldn’t find it anywhere but that one website. It’s a shame that the only way I found out about its existence at all was by sheer chance. Who knows how long it would have been had it not been for that random encounter. I hope a bigger outfit picks it up sometime soon so that it can be more widely known and available.

Second edition now available (to order) from nhbs.

Wow, that's great news. Looks like somebody finally got the message that people might actually want the book. Hope that's just the beginning of its becoming more widely available. Would love to actually see it in a bricks and mortar bookstore...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back