• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Equipment Starting over (3 Viewers)

F11Smith

United States
A week before Christmas I had all my photography equipment stolen - No insurance- about $25,000 worth. It was all Canon with an R5 with RF100-500, 600mm F4, 7D MKii with 400 l 5.6 Gitzo tripod with gimbal head. I am considering starting with an R7, 300 2.8 IS version I (I have been gifted this lens), EF 1.4 tele ver III, and an RF100-400. My question is, has anyone used this combo for birding and how has it worked out? thanks

Hi F11Smith and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I have moved your post to the Canon forum, as they're far more qualified to help you. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of all your equipment - what an awful thing to happen!!!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Holy cow, my heart sank when I read your post! I know this doesn't help you directly, but I'm using an R7 with a 400 4 DO version 1 and get great results with af accuracy. Only slightly less accurate with a 1.4x EF II. I would say that the research I've done suggests the 300 2.8 mk 1 with 1.4x II is similar to the performance of the 400 4 DO mk 1 optically, with your combo having slightly better micro contrast than mine. Take that with a grain of salt since I'm just regurgitating what I've read. I think the relevance here is to point out that my 400 DO is razor sharp on my 20mp full frame 6D, but shows its limitations on the cropped 32mp sensor of the R7. With such a super high pixel density, the R7 starts to show the optical limitations of my 400 and my other early generation L series glass. Those lenses just weren't developed with such a sensor, most actually developed when film was the standard, although I'm sure you understand that. I'm still happy with the R7, though. It nails eye focus like nothing I've ever used. Even though it does miss a bit with faster moving subjects, it eventually locks back on for me and still lets me catch good images. If I had to do it over, I'd buy the R7 again even with the known occasional drifting af.

Because it's an older EF lens, same as your 300 2.8, the frame rate is slowed from the maximum limits for designed RF lenses. I seem to be routinely achieving 8 fps in EFCS mode, and 13 fps in electronic mode. Plenty fast for me.

I've only acquired the 400 DO recently, so I'm still learning its limits, and sadly haven't had much bird time with it yet. However here are two reasonable shots with the R7+400 DO. The song sparrow includes the 1.4 EF II, the white throat is the bare lens. I hope others chime in who have used your actual kit. Sorry again about your lost gear.

Attachments

• song sparrow 01.jpg
    song sparrow 01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • white thoated sparrow.jpg
    white thoated sparrow.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 18
A week before Christmas I had all my photography equipment stolen - No insurance- about $25,000 worth. It was all Canon with an R5 with RF100-500, 600mm F4, 7D MKii with 400 l 5.6 Gitzo tripod with gimbal head. I am considering starting with an R7, 300 2.8 IS version I (I have been gifted this lens), EF 1.4 tele ver III, and an RF100-400. My question is, has anyone used this combo for birding and how has it worked out? thanks
My husband and I both have R7’s. He uses the 600mm prime and I use the new 200-800mm. I have tremors and the stabilizer is the best. I used to use Nikon, but I am definitely a convert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back