• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Vortex travel scope (1 Viewer)

dw87

United Kingdom
Surprised there has been no mention of this new scope from Vortex, a lower cost alternative to the offerings from Kowa and Swarovski (perhaps at same level as Opticron MM or Nikon ED50?).

Thanks. I missed this. 808g including the eyepiece for my preferred straight version is pretty good. And it has a removable lens, which will please those who aren't fans of zooms, although I don't know what fixed mag eyepieces Vortex offers. It certainly goes on my list of alternatives to look at/through if my ED50 breaks in half !

Surprised there has been no mention of this new scope from Vortex, a lower cost alternative to the offerings from Kowa and Swarovski (perhaps at same level as Opticron MM or Nikon ED50?).

not cheaper if competing with 553 and ATX…

This is an interesting development. I’m not a fan of zooms on small scopes, so a removeable eyepiece is hopeful. From the video on the Vortex website it looks like a different connection to other Razor scopes (bad). It looks like a simple screw collar arrangement (good?), which may potentially allow some other manufacturers thread-type eyepieces to be adapted. Baader, Rafcamera and Opticron produce a number of thread adapters; we’ll have to wait to see if any of them could be used on this scope

Interesting! Actually, how interesting it is will probably depend both on its optical quality and on the compatibility with other eyepieces. (It won't be easy for it to e.g. do better than the Opticron MM4 scopes I suppose, on both fronts.)
If Vortex made it compatible with Swarovski ATS eyepieces (like their former/older Razor 80mm was), I would be hugely tempted to try it out. But I guess that this is wishful thinking...

From the video on the Vortex website it looks like a different connection to other Razor scopes (bad).
I just saw the fragment in that video where he pulls out the eyepiece. Indeed, not similar at all to Swarovski bayonets. My hope was wishful thinking :)
But indeed, maybe some Opticron eyepieces might work on it, though probably with some adapter and not sure if it would make much sense considering the MM4 60mm exists.

It'd be interesting to see how it compares to the old one.

Presumably a big improvement with the huge price increase.

I saw a video somewhere where they made the comparison and it was night and day. I actually moved mine on for something a bit brighter than 56mm allows - not a fault of the scope, of course.

I saw a video somewhere where they made the comparison and it was night and day. I actually moved mine on for something a bit brighter than 56mm allows - not a fault of the scope, of course.
I use mine as a travel scope and when I'm not keen to carry much. It's pretty good but I wouldn't have it as my only scope. This new one may be a realistic option as a main scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back