• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED 50A with WDS 27 40 50 connected to Samsung S22 (1 Viewer)

Clive88

The title states my problem.
Can someone PLEASE assist? What is the best adapter?

Currently I have a Samsung S8 (soon to be upgraded to a S22) Recently I acquired a Celestron - NexYZ DX adapter kit.

(https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Universal-Smartphone-Digiscoping-Bluetooth/dp/B093QJBR67)

It KINDA works - very laborious to attach and then very hard to operate the phone/scope and everything a bit wonky and rickety.

Is that normal? I visit spectacular wildlife and birding areas and I have only used binoculars/fieldscope - NEVER a camera. So I discovered the opportunity of digiscoping with great excitement only to battle with the adapter - any advice?

The title states my problem.
Can someone PLEASE assist? What is the best adapter?

Currently I have a Samsung S8 (soon to be upgraded to a S22) Recently I acquired a Celestron - NexYZ DX adapter kit.

(https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Universal-Smartphone-Digiscoping-Bluetooth/dp/B093QJBR67)

It KINDA works - very laborious to attach and then very hard to operate the phone/scope and everything a bit wonky and rickety.

Is that normal? I visit spectacular wildlife and birding areas and I have only used binoculars/fieldscope - NEVER a camera. So I discovered the opportunity of digiscoping with great excitement only to battle with the adapter - any advice?
Hi,

I have had the same problems with the Celestron adapter, it's not great.

You can tighten up some of the small screws which does help improve the rigidity, but too tight stops the various parts from moving easily.

Biggest issue I have is the absence of a 'tilt' adjustment, I have found my phone lens is never aligned fully with the scope eyepiece and off angle by a few degrees on the vertical, so needed to use a fair bit of digital zoom. I solved this to some extent by putting a little bit of plastic under one of the fixtures, but didn't 100% solve the problem.

I ended up buying an official Nikon adapter and old digital camera off eBay which actually cost less than the Celestron adapter. Much more efficient and precise but bulky to carry.

But the Celestron adapter is also very bulky and far from pocketable.

I am afraid I haven't tried any other adaptors.

Thanks so much for your info/advice. At least now I know I am not the only one. . .:confused:

I ended up buying an official Nikon adapter and old digital camera off eBay which actually cost less than the Celestron adapter. Much more efficient and precise but bulky to carry.

Yes that is what I wanted to avoid (the bulk) - especially since the ED50 is SO tiny (and brilliant in every which way). And I go on very demanding hikes in among wildlife where weight is the most NB item to avoid.

But if I have to I have to - any recommendation for a reasonable spec Nikon camera that will serve this purpose? Preferably small and cheap?

Biggest issue I have is the absence of a 'tilt' adjustment, ...

Yes EXACTLY.

I ended up simply wrenching it into alignment because I found the grip around the eyepiece is not tight fitting. It would presumably fit better on a smaller or different eye piece but mine is such shape and size that the clasp only partially grips permitting a forward hinge to get the angle right. I also find that the phone gets in its own way unless it is slightly elevated in its holster (ie I have to slide it a bit upwards to find a spot where it does not hinge into itself). That means that all these tolerances have to be fine tuned EVERY TIME you take a picture and NO chance of a quick peep without the phone and then slotting it into place to take a pic. Maybe practice will improve my technique but currently it is a bit like trying to fly a helicopter - just too many axis of control.

I had in mind using it from within a motor vehicle supported with a window cushion or on a hike supported with nothing much.

Both ideas are currently fading. As you may guess - wildlife photography is often (VERY OFTEN) a quick on the draw affair. Birds and bees dont exactly arrive for a photo shoot with actress-like posing talent.

What irritates me is that Nikon ADVERTISED the lens as designed for digiscoping. But I emailed them repeatedly to advise the best fit adapter without any response so far!!

Only the excellence of the scope saves them from utter damnation;)

For anybody who cares - the ED 50 with the WDS x27 lens gives the brightest clearest most wide angle most pin-sharp view you could ever imagine. And the ridiculous small size of the scope means that you soon learn to handle it like binoculars (monocular?). It takes you one optical step into the distance just beyond where your binoculars suffer from lack of power. You do NOT need a zoom (you do not WANT a zoom - mushy image dark and narrow field of view).
You do NOT need more power (you do not WANT more power - here in Africa typically the heat waves distort the view to such an extent that any magnification beyond x30 is practically useless.)

Not to say that a 70 or 80 aperture does not have its place but for everyday purposes those sizes will serve no purpose for me.

So a small scope with a phone . . . ah well.

I bought the Nikon FSB-6 digiscoping bracket and Nikon P5100 camera from eBay - cost me £30. I had to be patient though, it is amazing what some people think a 15+ year old point and shoot camera should be worth....

The bracket is very well made and as you would expect for Nikon parts fits the DS eyepiece perfectly. It's just all very bulky to carry around.

I have never flown a helicopter but I reckon it most likely an accurate description for trying to align the Celestron adapter!

I bought the Nikon FSB-6 digiscoping bracket and Nikon P5100 camera from eBay - cost me £30. I had to be patient though, it is amazing what some people think a 15+ year old point and shoot camera should be worth....

The bracket is very well made and as you would expect for Nikon parts fits the DS eyepiece perfectly. It's just all very bulky to carry around.

I have never flown a helicopter but I reckon it most likely an accurate description for trying to align the Celestron adapter!
ha ha ha ...I'm on this journey now may be the universal one so I can put my mighty Sony RX100 V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back