• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nikon glass quality? (1 Viewer)

woodhornbirder

NIKON FIELDSCOPE WIDE MC EYEPIECE 40X, 60X, 75X

AM considering getting one of these, but I would like to know if they have rare earth glass eg lanthanum?

I know from my old scope, ed50 that nikon ep are good quality, but how do they compare vs pentax xw ? or vixen nlv ep ? or even televue nagler?

`FIELDSCOPE WIDE MC EYEPIECE` has 72 degree fov right? = same as pentax?

DOes exotic glass affect BOTH colour aberation AND brightness or just CA?

The Wide MC are sweet eyepieces and are as good as if not better than the Pentax XW with a flatter field and physically MUCH smaller too. No idea about the glass used in them.

The primary job of the eyepiece is magnify the image projected by the telescope lens. Most of the aberations you see like CA at the eyepiece are caused by the objective lens. The eyepiece itself cannot ENHANCE an image.

Last edited:
The Wide MC are sweet eyepieces and are as good as if not better than the Pentax XW with a flatter field and physically MUCH smaller too. No idea about the glass used in them.

The primary job of the eyepiece is magnify the image projected by the telescope lens. Most of the aberations you see like CA at the eyepiece are caused by the objective lens. The eyepiece itself cannot ENHANCE an image.

Not really true...as a matter of fact,most of the CA that You see in the image ,when using a nice sample,of a well corrected ED scope( or Fluorite),come from the eyepiece(I think is called Lateral Color)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back