• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nocmig - couple of mediocre UK recordings for ID suggestion pls, night 22/23 March24 (4 Viewers)

Andy Mids

Can anyone suggest what these two migrating birds might be? If not, does anyone know of a more appropriate location for help with nocturnal migration IDs ?

recording one three calls, don't know, reminiscent of a tern, sandwich, but not really - wind interference
recording two three plain calls going overhead
The sonograms don't have much definition so not posted, so will record at a higher rate in future
Thanks, Andrew London, UK

Unable to access the files but you could run the files through Merlin or Birdnet app amd then double check sonograms via xeno canto to confirm any hits.

Unable to access the files but you could run the files through Merlin or Birdnet app amd then double check sonograms via xeno canto to confirm any hits.
Thanks Alexander. I've corrected the links to open access I think
I uploaded Merlin app, but couldn't run the soundfile through it - so i played the files but Merlin came up blank.
Perhaps see if links work. Thanks, Andrew

They need to be converted to .wav for Merlin and BirdNET to work. The Sound Approach has an entire section devoted to NFC (and very nicely put together):
Thanks, will look again - however I can't see where in the Merlin app there is an option to load a wav file
Will look again

Have you tried probing the new Western Palearctic nocmig dataset advertised on XC for suggestions regarding the first call?

Merlin, BirdNET also say the latter is Water Rail.

PS You should be able to load .mp3 files as well as .wav files to both Merlin and BirdNET.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back