• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nong Song Hong, Khon Kaen, so many Baya Weavers...? (1 Viewer)

Bertus

Netherlands
In the past years I noticed the change of colour with Baya Weavers. At Cape Pakkarang, Phang Nga I saw them with their nests for the first time. Here in Isan they come very near to people in breeding time. I can find on the web that they breed in the monsoon season, I guess that might be May, June, July... or....? This pic is of May 14, 2022 in the village here, near some nests at a small pond, so indeed May is breeding time here. Because they are so beautiful and I never saw them before I assumed that they are rare. But now I slowly start to realise that there must be millions of them, since I witness groups of 50 flying up and down everywhere around here. The number of hanging nests that I see is quite small however. Anybody knows more about them? Like where do they sleep if not in a hanging nest and why so few nests around with so many of them? And do all the males change colour or ….? When is their breeding time exactly?
DSC03173 copy.JPGThe second pic is of yesterday. It should be a male but is that yellow spot the start of the breeding season then? It is only December. Or is it of before? Still strange. Yesterday I also found one with more yellow, sorry for the blur.... but those are the only ones with any yellow on hundreds of them, looks like an exception, mysterious it is...DSC05778 copy.JPGDSC05784 copy.JPG

1 & 3 are Asian Golden Weavers not Baya, resident ssp angelorum has yellow confined to cap.

2 is a female Streaked Weaver, yelliow 1/2 collar and black moustachial are diagnostic + streaking on underparts visible.

Grahame

1 & 3 are Asian Golden Weavers not Baya, resident ssp angelorum has yellow confined to cap.

2 is a female Streaked Weaver, yelliow 1/2 collar and black moustachial are diagnostic + streaking on underparts visible.

Grahame
Tnx Grahame, yes , you are right, this one has all yellow underpart, clear. I ruled both other species out based on the small maps in Robson's guide. Apparently I should not do that. The map of eBird for Asian Golden Weaver shows that they indeed do exist in this part of Isan. So eBird is better? Now I wonder if I ever saw the Baya Weaver here. I will check earlier pics for that. Surprising... Does ssp stand for subspecies? Thailand Birds - North Thailand Birding shows ssp P. P. Angelorum, but not in the book.

Streaked Weaver has to be rare in this region. I have never seen a yellow spot in the neck. I count another species on my list.

Thank you, very helpful....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back