• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North America — Unknown bird sound, Southern California (1 Viewer)

Jamulbob

United States
I live near some tall eucalyptus trees in Southern California where many birds perch and sometimes nest, including hawks of several species as well as great-horned owls. This morning, before light, (Sept. 1, 2022), I listened for a time to the hoot of an owl. Then a second and unknown sound was heard. I set my recorder on the deck and captured these sounds. First are two calls from the unknown bird then two calls of the unknown bird answered by an owl. The CornellLab Merlin bird identifier app on my phone identifies the owl but does not recognize the unknown bird. I’ve heard the strange call before but never as answered by the owl. I and the Merlin app are stumped. Any suggestions? Many thanks to everyone. Jamulbob

Attachments

• Owl + Unknown.mp3
    283.6 KB
Update: I think I’ve found the answer to this question. This is just an alternate vocalization of the great-horned owl. It seems there were two birds in the trees talking to each other. One hooting and the other squawking. I found several references on the internet that refer to this sound. Thanks all, Jamulbob

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back