• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Norfolk Woodland to Visit in January (1 Viewer)

Dave Derrick

Supporter
England
We are going to North Norfolk for two weeks in a weeks time. We regularly do this trip in January and know all the main coastal birding areas from Snettisham, down through Cley to Hickling, but, for a change we would like to also do some gentle walking in woodland in land. Any particular woods spring to mind ? Or heaths with woodland ? We will still be doing our usual coastal walking and birdwatching, but feel that we ought to give a bit more of our time and energy to inland North Norfolk. Any assistance very much appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

Hi Dave - happy new year to you.

Have you tried Sculthorpe Moor, just to the west of Fakenham... well worth a visit that one - woodland does fit the brief.

Delia, and a Happy New Year to you; many thanks.

As I posted my question, I thought "perhaps I should mention that we do visit Sculthorpe each January; an excellent reserve". Thank you though; appreciated. Dave.

Holt Country Park & Holt Lowes:

Mainly deciduous woodland with, south of the boundary fence, a completely different habitat of heathland and peat bog.

Holt country park (with downloadable leaflet/map).

Holt Lowes | A very special place for wildlife (highly informative).

Last edited:
Delia, and a Happy New Year to you; many thanks.

As I posted my question, I thought "perhaps I should mention that we do visit Sculthorpe each January; an excellent reserve". Thank you though; appreciated. Dave.
No worries Dave.

There's many sites in Norfolk and we do have quite a number in The Opus, to access them, just click on the Norfolk link (top or bottom) of the article I linked to, for more ideas.

We are going to North Norfolk for two weeks in a weeks time. We regularly do this trip in January and know all the main coastal birding areas from Snettisham, down through Cley to Hickling, but, for a change we would like to also do some gentle walking in woodland in land. Any particular woods spring to mind ? Or heaths with woodland ? We will still be doing our usual coastal walking and birdwatching, but feel that we ought to give a bit more of our time and energy to inland North Norfolk. Any assistance very much appreciated. Thanks, Dave.
Kelling Heath, car park (Holgate Hill Car Park) on the Holt to Weybourne Road, good scrub and open woodland, with Dartford Warbler...
MJB

Holt Country Park & Holt Lowes:

Mainly deciduous woodland with, south of the boundary fence, a completely different habitat of heathland and peat bog.

Holt country park (with downloadable leaflet/map).

Holt Lowes | A very special place for wildlife (highly informative).

Very many thanks; we will certainly investigate these sites. Much appreciated. Dave.

No worries Dave.

There's many sites in Norfolk and we do have quite a number in The Opus, to access them, just click on the Norfolk link (top or bottom) of the article I linked to, for more ideas.
Delia, forgot (again .... there is a trend developing !) to look in The Opus. Many thanks, Dave.

Felbrigg Hall park can be good: winter finches, owls and raptors (Plus unusual ducks on lake occasionally)
Take the back way in, turning off the A148 called Lion's Mouth: follow the road to the back entrance (See Googlemaps!)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back