• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Thread (3 Viewers)

Last week, I was sent a photo from a neighbouring platform, of three geese bobbing about on the sea close to them. I identified them as Pink-footed, a species you would think were common out there, being on the main migration route, but it is a species I've never crossed paths with offshore, to my memory.
I've been going back through my records, and it seems that I was incorrect in saying that I had not come across P-F Gs at the platform. I have found that I have seen them on at least two occasions, including the one pictured in post #77, which I eventually remembered after my last post. Still a low total considering how many must be passing by in migration seasons.

I was out on the platform on Saturday, and am pleased to be able to report the presence of a few birds. Firstly came a close encounter with a Carrion Crow. Shortly after that, a Sparrowhawk landed on a handrail very close to my position. Finally, the constant rain brought a smart looking male Wheatear down on the platform, seemingly seeking a little shelter.

My work situation has changed again, and it now seems the proposed move of platforms is off, and I will be staying with my original platform, and hopefully returning to a normal rota later this year.

I was out for the day on Thursday, but there was next to no bird activity. A few Gannet passing, a couple of gulls, and a dead Blackcap was all I could find.

I returned yesterday, and had a much better day, although birds still noticeably scarce. In the morning, a couple of very distant wildfowl passed by. Too far out for a 100% ID, but I am fairly certain that they were Long-tailed Duck. A little later, a Carrion Crow showed up. Probably the same bird that was first seen last week. The star of the show however, was a Common Redshank that I spotted on three separate occasions. On the first two occasions, the bird was in the air, and I was worried about how I could eliminate Spotted Redshank, however, on the last occasion, the bird landed on the Helideck a few metres from my position, and Common Redshank was confirmed

Why the fuss about a Common Redshank? Because they are not common out here! This in fact is a platform first, although strangely, I had Spotted Redshank, in summer plumage, many years ago.

Nothing much about today, except the Carrion Crow. I should be back here next weekend, when I would hope there should be much more of a movement underway.

Before leaving the platform on Sunday, I found a clump of feathers that I hurriedly wrapped in a sheet of paper, and pocketed minutes before leaving. I only remembered them this morning, so took a photo and posted them on the Bird Identification pages of these fora. They have now been identified as the tail feathers of a Great Spotted Woodpecker. My offshore birding is done under the assumption that if it has wings, it can turn up, but even I am gobsmacked at this one! I have checked the North Sea Bird Club records that I have, and it is on their master list, but surely there can't have been many found offshore? I will make further enquiries with the person who was the club's recorder prior to its disbandment.

Attachments

• DSCN6508.jpg
    DSCN6508.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 11
I have been in touch with the former NSBC recorder, and he has informed me that that have been 33 records of Great Spotted Woodpecker in the clubs 40 year history. More than I thought, although still a scarce offshore bird. He believes that our bird will have been of Scandinavian origins, making its way back after wintering in the UK. I had never thought of GSW as being migratory in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back