• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Wheatear age and race, Flamborough, England. (1 Viewer)

Brett Richards

United Kingdom
I believe this is 2cy, but the wings are not a brown and faded as I would have expected. Is it Greenland? Svensson says of leucorhoa "2Y males may sometimes be recognised having prominent rufous-brown tinge (grey on upperparts visible only on proximal parts of feathers)". I seem to recollect this is because Greenlands moult later and the brown tips have not yet worn off, but I'm not sure where I got this from.

Comments welcomed.
Wheatear, male, foghorn, Flamborough, 12 Apr 22 (1).JPGWheatear, male, foghorn, Flamborough, 12 Apr 22 (3).JPGWheatear, male, foghorn, Flamborough, 12 Apr 22 (4).JPG
Brett

I believe this is 2cy, but the wings are not a brown and faded as I would have expected. Is it Greenland? Svensson says of leucorhoa "2Y males may sometimes be recognised having prominent rufous-brown tinge (grey on upperparts visible only on proximal parts of feathers)". I seem to recollect this is because Greenlands moult later and the brown tips have not yet worn off, but I'm not sure where I got this from.

Comments welcomed.
Looks like a perfectly good leucorhoa Brett due to a combination of extensive brown tipping to mantle feathers and, to a lesser extent, lower scapulars + underparts heavily saturated warm, orange-buff. Regarding age, not so straightforward, images are somewhat contradictory (lighting perhaps?) and the wings don't look particularly bleached (brown) + not seeing any obvious moult limit in coverts so, perhaps safest left age uncertain.

Grahame

Looks like a perfectly good leucorhoa Brett due to a combination of extensive brown tipping to mantle feathers and, to a lesser extent, lower scapulars + underparts heavily saturated warm, orange-buff. Regarding age, not so straightforward, images are somewhat contradictory (lighting perhaps?) and the wings don't look particularly bleached (brown) + not seeing any obvious moult limit in coverts so, perhaps safest left age uncertain.

Grahame
Thanks Grahame

Brett

Seems to be quite a lot of observations in North America, and if traveling around in Alaska, it might even be annual somewhere. But if the flight there is shorter than across the pond is a different question :D
Niels

I wish we had this species across the pond. Beautiful images Brett!

Seems to be quite a lot of observations in North America, and if traveling around in Alaska, it might even be annual somewhere. But if the flight there is shorter than across the pond is a different question :D
Niels

It is a widespread but sparse breeder in much of Alaska and NW Canada, from where it undertakes a journey across the Bering Sea, transversing Russia, through Kazakhstan then down through Arabia to wintering grounds in sub-Saharan NE/E Africa

A different population in NE Canada and Greenland (leucorhoa) migrates across the N Atlantic to the British Isles then south to wintering grounds in sub-Saharan W. Africa.

Migration routes https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsbl.2011.1223

Grahame

Very interesting post.
I had a fall of Wheatear on the N Wales coast during a bird survey a day or two before your post, as a warm front went over and it started to drizzle. 2 of the male birds had extensive brown in the mantle, and reduced blue-grey. Really quite striking (in addition to the deep buff - apricot all the way down the underparts). I was struck by one's passing resemblance to BEW or Desert. These I had down as nailed-on Greenlands. A female bird was also quite strikingly coloured, and appeared large.
This feature of brown in the upper parts isn't really mentioned in the Collins, or Duivendijk, though Martin Garner discussed it... 🤔
Which Svensson mentions the browner mantles, Brett? Ringers guide?
It appears that second calendar birds in mid April look pretty similar to older birds - is that right? TIA.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back