• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

not my record: difficult Orthetrum: near Amami, Japan (1 Viewer)

HouseCrow

On my regular rounds around inaturalist's Japan section I came across this record of an 'Orthetrum' female.
I was astounded by the clean black and yellow thorax stripes and the head that did not seem to fit Orthetrum for me (with very little field experience in Japan).

On 2nd thought, I think it comes close to an old female Orthetrum glaucum. But then the coloration is still off. Could it be a similarly old female Orthetrum melania?
Usually, the final segments are black and I would expect them to turn even blacker with age but ....
I have done some dragonflying in Japan but not nearly enough to begin to know the other options there are.

NB. photo added without permission, but with added label, for reader's convenience. Recorder is notified on inaturalist.

birdforumllibel.jpg

Genus Orthetrum

Hope to hear from you

cheers,
Gerben
(usually only doing bird ID forum here, but an avid dragonflier, butterflyist and birder on inaturalist)

Attachments

• birdforumllibel.jpg
    birdforumllibel.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Problem seems to have been solved... it is most likely an old female Orthetrum melania ryukyuense.
Then the thorax bars fit, the broad s9 and the dark snout.

cheers,
Gerben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back